Repeated request for fsck on boot - SLES 9.4

Hi,

I have a production server which DBAs requested a sanity reboot (slow response).
When it rebooted it went to Root FSCK Prompt (all ext3).
On entry the local disk file systems were all mounted and the fs looked healthy but the lvm data drive was not ready.
I did an fsck -n on each of the partitions and it reported no corruption or problems.

I did an fsck on all partitions using a rescuecd without issues and I removed the data lvm from /etc/fstab

Every time it rebooted to single user prompt for root to fsck

I finally removed all but root file system after copying /usr /opt /var /home /oracle and /tmp to the / dir.

It booted

So. What is the problem?

Is this an mdsetup /dev/mapper issue or an ext3 suse issue?

dan1949,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your issue been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your SUSE Forums Team
http://forums.suse.com

[QUOTE=dan1949;2806]Hi,

I have a production server which DBAs requested a sanity reboot (slow response).
When it rebooted it went to Root FSCK Prompt (all ext3).
On entry the local disk file systems were all mounted and the fs looked healthy but the lvm data drive was not ready.
I did an fsck -n on each of the partitions and it reported no corruption or problems.

I did an fsck on all partitions using a rescuecd without issues and I removed the data lvm from /etc/fstab

Every time it rebooted to single user prompt for root to fsck

I finally removed all but root file system after copying /usr /opt /var /home /oracle and /tmp to the / dir.

It booted

So. What is the problem?

Is this an mdsetup /dev/mapper issue or an ext3 suse issue?[/QUOTE]

Have you looked what ‘tune2fs -l [dev name]’ returns? Curious in which filesystem state it is and what next check have been set.

A list of messages and errors during boot would be interesting to see.

Any chance this might be due to something else that happened prior to the reboot (like kernel reconfiguration / updates / etc…) and do LVM functions function normally?

-Willem

No. I did reset the fstab to reflect 0 in the 6th field and have booted with option fastboot with no different results.
Strangely (I’ve never seen this before) the data LVMs are mounted as usual as are two of the local partition mounts.
The remaining partitions are mounted but show the file system as “-” in the first field of a df command such as df -h /var.
I would expect “/dev/sda5” in a normally mounted file system on that server.

I no longer trust this server OS and there is no longer any support.

I will recommend to upgrade to a supported version.

Which version of suse enterprise would anyone suggest to upgrade/install to if the app is currently running on 9.4?

Probably the wrong forum at this point so I apologize but it is a segway.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hi
Would suggest you build up a virtual machine (virtual box or
vmware) on a test machine and install SLES 11 SP2 and try that out
first.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 19:27, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU