repository primer?

I am having trouble finding anything that describes the repositories, what they contain and why they are needed. As an example registering a SLES 11 SP2 fresh install gives you more repositories than I think is sensible:

zypper lr
#  | Alias                                                             | Name                                                  | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | SDK11-SP2-Updates                                                 | SDK11-SP2-Updates                                     | Yes     | Yes
 2 | SLE-CSIRO                                                         | SLE-CSIRO                                             | Yes     | Yes
 3 | SLES11-SP2-Updates                                                | SLES11-SP2-Updates                                    | Yes     | Yes
 4 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234                  | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.234      | Yes     | Yes
 5 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Software-Development-Kit-11-SP2_11.2.2-1.66 | SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11 SP2 | Yes     | Yes
 6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool                                  | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool                                    | Yes     | Yes
 7 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates                               | SLE11-SDK-SP1-Updates                                 | Yes     | Yes
 8 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP2-Core                                  | SLE11-SDK-SP2-Core                                    | Yes     | Yes
 9 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SDK-SP2-Updates                               | SLE11-SDK-SP2-Updates                                 | Yes     | Yes
10 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool                            | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool                              | No      | Yes
11 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates                         | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates                           | No      | Yes
12 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core                            | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core                              | No      | Yes
13 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates                         | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates                           | No      | Yes
14 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Pool                              | SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Pool                                | No      | Yes
15 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Updates                           | SLE11-WebYaST-SP2-Updates                             | No      | Yes
16 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras                                       | SLES11-Extras                                         | No      | Yes
17 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool                                     | SLES11-SP1-Pool                                       | Yes     | Yes
18 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates                                  | SLES11-SP1-Updates                                    | Yes     | Yes
19 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Core                                     | SLES11-SP2-Core                                       | Yes     | Yes
20 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store                          | SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store                            | Yes     | Yes
21 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates                                  | SLES11-SP2-Updates                                    | Yes     | Yes

In particular the 2 repositories to do with SP1 make no sense to me at all. I would have thought you need the original distribution repo (SP2) and an update repo for SP2. There is an identical situation existing for the SDK as well, but at least that is consistent.

Can anyone provide a pointer to something that explains the repos? Failing that, a description here would also suit.

With SLE 11 SP2 the way repos are done has been changed. You keep the SP1 repos and add some extra repos for SP2. Take a look at
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7010225

You do appear to have some redundant repos though. E.g. You have ‘SLE11-SDK-SP1-Pool’ and ‘SLE11-SDK-SP2-Core’ which makes ‘SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11 SP2’ seem redundant. If you run

$ zypper lr -u

You’ll get the urls as well which will help you work out whether you can remove some of the repos.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;5776]
You’ll get the urls as well which will help you work out whether you can remove some of the repos.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mike. That link is precisely what I wanted. In the example I had my usual local mirrored repositories + all those added by the suse_register. There are duplicates. Normally I run with all local mirrored repositories. This setup was to see what extra ones suse_register gave me. I will be updating procedures now I understand the way forward.