Need assistance getting software repositories defined

I work for an outsourcer and we will soon be taking over the support for a couple of Linux on System z servers. The servers are running SLES 11 SP2 and it appears that there was no maintenance installed as the only Software Repository defined is the installation media (the iso file accessed via NFS).

We have been told that they are paying for support, so I have asked for their Novell credentials.

I am looking for info on how to define the software repositories as I have been tasked with upgrading the servers to SLES 11 SP3 and then to SLES 11 SP4. I haven’t had to access Novell directly for maintenance for several years as I implemented SMT for the one client we have that runs SLES on System z.

I found that I need to define the following repositories, though I am not sure if I need ‘SLES11-Extras’ as they are running just SLES 11 SP2 with no add

SLES11-Extras SLES11-SP1-Pool SLES11-SP1-Updates SLES11-SP2-Core SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store SLES11-SP2-Updates

Can someone provide, step by step, what I need to do to define the correct repositories? Also, do I need to modify Linux to go to SCC?

Once the repositories are defined, I plan on upgrading to SP3 and then to SP4 via the zypper process.

Harley

[QUOTE=x0500hl;51695]I work for an outsourcer and we will soon be taking over the support for a couple of Linux on System z servers. The servers are running SLES 11 SP2 and it appears that there was no maintenance installed as the only Software Repository defined is the installation media (the iso file accessed via NFS).

We have been told that they are paying for support, so I have asked for their Novell credentials.

I am looking for info on how to define the software repositories as I have been tasked with upgrading the servers to SLES 11 SP3 and then to SLES 11 SP4. I haven’t had to access Novell directly for maintenance for several years as I implemented SMT for the one client we have that runs SLES on System z.

I found that I need to define the following repositories, though I am not sure if I need ‘SLES11-Extras’ as they are running just SLES 11 SP2 with no add

SLES11-Extras SLES11-SP1-Pool SLES11-SP1-Updates SLES11-SP2-Core SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store SLES11-SP2-Updates

Can someone provide, step by step, what I need to do to define the correct repositories? Also, do I need to modify Linux to go to SCC?

Once the repositories are defined, I plan on upgrading to SP3 and then to SP4 via the zypper process.

Harley[/QUOTE]

When you register the system with NCC it should automatically setup the repositories. SCC is for SLE12 and later.

Thomas

On 21/03/18 16:14, x0500hl wrote:
[color=blue]

I work for an outsourcer and we will soon be taking over the support for
a couple of Linux on System z servers. The servers are running SLES 11
SP2 and it appears that there was no maintenance installed as the only
Software Repository defined is the installation media (the iso file
accessed via NFS).

We have been told that they are paying for support, so I have asked for
their Novell credentials.

I am looking for info on how to define the software repositories as I
have been tasked with upgrading the servers to SLES 11 SP3 and then to
SLES 11 SP4. I haven’t had to access Novell directly for maintenance
for several years as I implemented SMT for the one client we have that
runs SLES on System z.

I found that I need to define the following repositories, though I am
not sure if I need ‘SLES11-Extras’ as they are running just SLES 11 SP2
with no add

Code:

SLES11-Extras

SLES11-SP1-Pool
SLES11-SP1-Updates
SLES11-SP2-Core
SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store
SLES11-SP2-Updates
--------------------[/color]

I was going to refer you to SUSE TID 7010225 but that currently seems to
AWOL (which I’ll report to my SUSE contacts next).

Anyway with the exception of SLES11-Extras you have the correct list of
repos for SLES11 SP2 - unlike previous and later SLES releases with
SLES11 SP2 you also required the SLES11-SP1 repos and then oddly named
SLES11-SP2 repos.
[color=blue]

Can someone provide, step by step, what I need to do to define the
correct repositories? Also, do I need to modify Linux to go to SCC?[/color]

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking here. If you register the server
it should receive the correct repos.

As for SCC, I believe that will happen once you get to SLES11 SP4 and
register the server.
[color=blue]

Once the repositories are defined, I plan on upgrading to SP3 and then
to SP4 via the zypper process.[/color]

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

Thanks to all. It looks like I will have what I need when I register the servers to NCC. I know how to proceed once I have access to the correct repositories.

Thanks again!

Harley