RKE is not able to remove its ingress controller

I have a K8s cluster that I created with RKE and has been added to Rancher. I have containers that are going to bind to port 80 and 443 on the host, and I don’t want to use an ingress controller, so I added the config to remove the ingress:

ingress:
  provider: none

When I run rke up, it gets to a point where it tries to remove the existing ingress controller, but then fails.

INFO[0073] [addons] Setting up Metrics Server
INFO[0073] [addons] Saving addon ConfigMap to Kubernetes
INFO[0073] [addons] Successfully Saved addon to Kubernetes ConfigMap: rke-metrics-addon
INFO[0073] [addons] Executing deploy job..
INFO[0074] [addons] KubeDNS deployed successfully..
INFO[0074] [ingress] removing installed ingress controller
WARN[0170] Failed to deploy addon execute job [rke-ingress-controller]: Failed to get job complete status: <nil>
INFO[0170] [addons] Setting up user addons
INFO[0170] [addons] no user addons defined
INFO[0170] Finished building Kubernetes cluster successfully

I can see there is a pod that is supposed to delete the ingress, and it appears to have finished, since I don’t see the ingress controller pods anymore.

$ kubectl get pods --all-namespaces | grep ingress
kube-system      rke-ingress-controller-delete-job-ctbpg       1/1     Running   0          9m21s

$ kubectl logs -n kube-system rke-ingress-controller-delete-job-ctbpg
namespace "ingress-nginx" deleted

Running rke up again, results in the same errors.

Meanwhile, Rancher is not able to communicate with the cluster.

This cluster is currently Provisioning; areas that interact directly with it will not be available until the API is ready.

Exit status 1, Error from server (ServiceUnavailable): the server is currently unable to handle the request

How do I recover it so Rancher can communicate with the cluster again.