SLES 11 SP2 hangs on boot after "Starting syslog services"

Hello,

My virtuel (vmware) SLES 11 SP2 hangs on boot. Can´t tell what happend before, the server had been up for like 230 days before rebooting.

Main console says Starting syslog services done. And there the server just hangs.
The other says
Jun 16 12:43:42 livm10p kernel … audit_printk_skb: 21 callbacks suppressed

I´ve

• started the installer and run severel repairs - didn´t help
  • started in rescue mode and have run mkinitrd, no problem mounting filsystem from rescue mode
  • tried to install a new (older) kernel (maybee not good?)

Have no clue what to do next.

Thanks

/Anette

I had this same issue on one of my servers, it ended up that I had to fix an socket problem where the staring of syslog did not upgrade correctly and an unused old syslog ( I think not syslog-ng) blocked the syslog socket. I founds this in syslog -ng documentation eventually.
I hope this helps, I’m bit rusty on exactly how it got fixed.

Hi Anette,

[QUOTE=AnetteLO;14051]Hello,

My virtuel (vmware) SLES 11 SP2 hangs on boot. Can´t tell what happend before, the server had been up for like 230 days before rebooting.

Main console says Starting syslog services done. And there the server just hangs.
The other says
Jun 16 12:43:42 livm10p kernel … audit_printk_skb: 21 callbacks suppressed

I´ve

• started the installer and run severel repairs - didn´t help
  • started in rescue mode and have run mkinitrd, no problem mounting filsystem from rescue mode
  • tried to install a new (older) kernel (maybee not good?)

Have no clue what to do next.

Thanks

/Anette[/QUOTE]

you might disable syslog via a recovery (or single-user) boot and check if the remainder of the system starts properly. If that gives you at least a basically usable system, you may further debug why starting syslogd hangs, from within that “running” system.

Regards,
Jens