SLES 12 Beta

Can we start a Forum for SLES 12 Beta here?

I don’t like lists and I think forums are way better than lists, so the first thing I saw on SLES 12 Beta 1 is that The only Desktop Environment included in it is GNOME, which I think is the first mistake SUSE can do, I don’t have anything against it, but one of the reasons why I like SUSE is because it comes with KDE as default.

Anyway, if you also want to change this, I just tried using the KDE package(s) that come with openSUSE 13.1 and it worked just fine, I just added the openSUSE DVD as repository and added the pattern.

Also, PHP5-devel is not included with SLES 12 Beta 1, this is needed to compile extensions, so please add it.

Thanks,

On 04/03/2014 16:54, jurgen73 wrote:
[color=blue]

Can we start a Forum for SLES 12 Beta here?

I don’t like lists and I think forums are way better than lists, so the
first thing I saw on SLES 12 Beta 1 is that The only Desktop Environment
included in it is GNOME, which I think is the first mistake SUSE can do,
I don’t have anything against it, but one of the reasons why I like SUSE
is because it comes with KDE as default.

Anyway, if you also want to change this, I just tried using the KDE
package(s) that come with openSUSE 13.1 and it worked just fine, I just
added the openSUSE DVD as repository and added the pattern.

Also, PHP5-devel is not included with SLES 12 Beta 1, this is needed to
compile extensions, so please add it.[/color]

If you have access to Beta 1 then you should have been told how to
report issues plus know that you’re under a Non Disclosure Agreement
(NDA) which you’re breaking by posting here …

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

[QUOTE=jurgen73;19677]
Also, PHP5-devel is not included with SLES 12 Beta 1, this is needed to compile extensions, so please add it.[/QUOTE]
For reference, -devel packages are mostly in the SLE SDK which can be obtained from https://download.suse.com (Though not for the 12 beta because what Simon said.)

[QUOTE=jurgen73;19677]Can we start a Forum for SLES 12 Beta here?
The only Desktop Environment included in it is GNOME, which I think is the first mistake SUSE can do, I don’t have anything against it, but one of the reasons why I like SUSE is because it comes with KDE as default.[/QUOTE]

This concerns me as well.

Just found that this subject was talked about at SUSECon in November. Here is a set of slides that confirm the desktop environment is going to be Gnome 3.

https://www.suse.com/events/susecon2013/sessions/presentations/FUT1405.pdf (start on page 10 for info about the desktop environment)