SLES 12 - questions about the new "modules"

Hi,

i’m thinking about using SLES 12 in our company. But i’m a bit concerned about these new “modules” (e.g. web-scripting). They are not as log supported as SLES itself, normally only for three years. OK. But what happens if i don’t like to use the new version of e.g. php ?
May i continue to use the old version (although it’s not supported any longer) ? Or am i forced to install and use the new module version ?

Bernd

Hi,

i forgot something: is it still possible to use MySQL although SLES does not offer it (but MariaDB) ? That means that my database server is not maintaned with patches, or ?

Bernd

[QUOTE=berndgsflinux;25852]Hi,

i’m thinking about using SLES 12 in our company. But i’m a bit concerned about these new “modules” (e.g. web-scripting). They are not as log supported as SLES itself, normally only for three years. OK. But what happens if i don’t like to use the new version of e.g. php ?
May i continue to use the old version (although it’s not supported any longer) ? Or am i forced to install and use the new module version ?

Bernd[/QUOTE]
Hi
Any of the extensions (add on products) are supported through the lifetime of the release eg Release->SPn->LTSS as long as you have an active subscription up to the long term support (that is an additional cost).

Sure, you can remain on any package and not update it if you don’t wish too…

MariaDB is the OSS mysql and is supported/maintained just like everything else.

Description: 
  MariaDB is a backward compatible, drop-in replacement branch of the MySQL
  Database Server. It includes all major open source storage engines, including
  the Maria storage engine.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;25857]Hi
Any of the extensions (add on products) are supported through the lifetime of the release eg Release->SPn->LTSS as long as you have an active subscription up to the long term support (that is an additional cost).

Sure, you can remain on any package and not update it if you don’t wish too…

MariaDB is the OSS mysql and is supported/maintained just like everything else.

Description: MariaDB is a backward compatible, drop-in replacement branch of the MySQL Database Server. It includes all major open source storage engines, including the Maria storage engine. [/QUOTE]

Hi Malcom,

i’m not talking about add on products, but about the new “modules”:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#Packages.Modules says that e.g. the support for the web and scripting module is for at most three years, and not for the full lifetime of SLES 12.

Bernd

Hi,

my question is now if i am forced to update when the lifetime of the module ends, or if i can stay with the old version (of course not having any more updates). The reason is that if e.g. php gets a new version, i don’t like to check all the scripts if they are still running.

Bernd

Hi
Probably backporting security fixes springs to mind, esp for things
like PHP, then you have the folks that want the latest versions in the
release for new features.

Not being a PHP user, I would imagine that not many features are
dropped as such with new release, but maybe abi/api changes?

The way I read it is 3 years, plus an 18 month overlap in the next SP
release, so potentially 4.5 years…

If you have concerns it’s probably better to take them up with your
SUSE Sales Representative.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!