SLES Update SP2 -> SP3 no Internet

Hi,

after updating from SP2 to SP3 i lost my Internetconncetion. All eth`s are unconnected. Looks like no Cable were attached to the eth. But the Cable is connect to eth physically, i did the Update via Remote. I checked the Driver for the Networkcard, is there and is loaded.

Any Suggestion?

thx

Hi bienkt,

would you mind sharing some output, ie from “ifconfig -a” and “hwinfo --network”? Though I expect no additional (important) information from it, “ifstatus” for the interface in question might be helpful, too.

Have you checked “dmesg” and syslogs for messages concerning the interface in question?

Might it be that the name of the interface has changed and you’re looking for the wrong interface?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,

thx for your reply.
ifstatus shows that all ethernet interfaces are down. ifconfig -a shows no activities.
i found in dmesg that
bnx2: Cant load firmware file „bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw“ makes sense for me, if there is no firmware the interface is down. I cant find this file on my machine. Can i use one of the other bnx2…fw files?

Hi bienkt,

sorry for the delay, I’m rather driven at the moment…

bnx2: Can`t load firmware file „bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw

I can see that file on at least one of my servers:

[QUOTE]xxx06:~ # rpm -qf /lib/firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw
kernel-firmware-20110923-0.42.49
xxx06:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 3
xxx06:~ # [/QUOTE]

Do you have that RPM installed?

With regards,
Jens

(Hope it’s OK to reply to this old thread – I’m posting my experience/solution, since this thread is a top Google hit for “bnx2: Can’t load firmware file”.)

I also encountered this problem on one server, after having updated several other servers of the same model with no problem. I had the same “can’t load firmware file” error and ethtool reported no link. I tried upgrading the NIC firmware but that did not solve the problem.

My quick solution to get the server back online was to install the SP2 kernel I was previously running from the zypper cache:

[CODE]# find /var/cache/zypp -name ‘kernel*rpm’

/var/cache/zypp/packages/nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates/rpm/x86_64/kernel-default-3.0.58-0.6.6.1.x86_64.rpm
/var/cache/zypp/packages/nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates/rpm/x86_64/kernel-default-base-3.0.58-0.6.6.1.x86_64.rpm

rpm -ivh [these two RPMs][/CODE]

I rebooted back into that kernel and everything was fine again. When I was finally able to get downtime on that server again, I installed the latest updates (making sure I had multiversion kernels set up in zypp.conf) and it appears that the latest kernel patch also installed the kernel-firmware package. After this, both the new kernel (3.0.101-0.21-default) and the problematic kernel (3.0.101-0.15-default) are working fine.

Looking through /var/log/zypp/history, the kernel-firmware package was not installed until now. On other servers it was installed during the SP1->SP2 upgrade and upgraded periodically since then but somehow it got missed on this one. Evidently the SP2 kernel runs fine without the separate kernel-firmware package (the kernel RPM contains some bnx2 firmware of its own), but it is required with the SP3 kernel.