SLES11 SP2 on DELL PowerEdge R710 installation

Hi,

I have issue with the hard drive device detection on DELL PowerEdge R710. For some reason during the installation, AutoYaST picks up Virtual Floppy (sdb) and LCDrive (sda) and the actual RAID drive (sdc). The system has a PERC 6/i controller with RAID 10 configuration. Is there a way to tell AutoYaST not to pickup those virtual devices?

I tried to use skip list in partition profile and it does not seem to work.

… snip …
true

<skip_list config:type=“list”>

<skip_key>driver</skip_key>
<skip_value>usb-storage</skip_value>

<skip_key>size_k</skip_key>
<skip_value>1048576</skip_value>
<skip_if_less_than config:type=“boolean”>true</skip_if_less_than>

<skip_key>vendor</skip_key>
<skip_value>DP</skip_value>

<skip_value>iDRAC</skip_value>

</skip_list>
… snip …

Thanks

–Guang

I’m experiencing this exact issue. Except in addition to the virtual devices, SAN disk also is picked up first. So, if I have three SAN disks with two paths to each, one virtual CDROM, and an internal RAID 5 volume, the SAN disks are picked up as sda through sdf, the CDROM is sdg, and finally the RAID volume is sdh. It seems in all cases, the only device you want to be sda (the internal RAID volume) is anything but sda.

This is a bit frustrating. I have a ticket open with Novell, and so far, there has been no technical response, just an acknowledgement.

I wanted to provide an update, or lack thereof. I haven’t heard anything back at all from Novell on my ticket I have open regarding this issue. In fact, when I sent a follow-up email to the technician who the ticket was assigned to, he’s out of the office all week. Awesome. Why would anyone grab a ticket on a Friday when they know they’re going to be out of the office for the following week?

When I do hear something back, I’ll update this thread accordingly.

jstubbins wrote:
[color=blue]

I haven’t heard
anything back at all from Novell on my ticket I have open regarding
this issue.[/color]

You can contact support and ask that the SR be reassigned or escalated.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are using the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

On 03/03/2012 01:24, guangsu wrote:
[color=blue]

I have issue with the hard drive device detection on DELL PowerEdge
R710. For some reason during the installation, AutoYaST picks up Virtual
Floppy (sdb) and LCDrive (sda) and the actual RAID drive (sdc). The
system has a PERC 6/i controller with RAID 10 configuration. Is there a
way to tell AutoYaST not to pickup those virtual devices?

I tried to use skip list in partition profile and it does not seem to
work.

… snip …
true

<skip_list config:type=“list”>

<skip_key>driver</skip_key>
<skip_value>usb-storage</skip_value>

<skip_key>size_k</skip_key>
<skip_value>1048576</skip_value>
<skip_if_less_than
config:type=“boolean”>true</skip_if_less_than>

<skip_value>DP</skip_value>

<skip_value>iDRAC</skip_value>

</skip_list>
… snip …[/color]

Have you seen http://suse.gansert.net/?p=499 ?

It suggests using the “yast2 ayast_probe” command to see possible keys
and current values.

I tried it on openSUSE 12.1 and I don’t see “vendor” listed but instead
“board_vendor” and “product_vendor”. Since the machine in question is a
Dell GX620 the values for both are “Dell Inc.”.

HTH.

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

[QUOTE=guangsu;2796]Hi,

I have issue with the hard drive device detection on DELL PowerEdge R710. For some reason during the installation, AutoYaST picks up Virtual Floppy (sdb) and LCDrive (sda) and the actual RAID drive (sdc). The system has a PERC 6/i controller with RAID 10 configuration. Is there a way to tell AutoYaST not to pickup those virtual devices?[/QUOTE]

A stab in the dark… but does it help to set the PERC controller (or disk device on it) to first boot device in the BIOS. I’ve seen some strange behaviour (device list getting mixed up) with this before when installing ESXi on SD cards.

Also, to make sure you are running the latest BIOS for the R710 as there have been some fixes for the UEFI Boot Manager.

-Willem

Yes, I also tried to move the device on the PERC RAID controller to boot first, same issue. I will take a look at updating the BIOS and see that would make a difference or not.

-Guang

Updated BIOS version 6.10 still have the same issue. Not sure why autoyast picks up LCDDRIVE and Virtual Floppy as a HDD device and it’s before the internal PERC RAID device.

run yast to start the installation

inst-sys:~ # lsscsi
[0:0:32:0] enclosu DP BACKPLANE 1.07 -
[0:2:0:0] disk DELL PERC 6/i 1.22 /dev/sdc
[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd TEAC DVD-ROM DV-28SW R.2A /dev/sr0
[3:0:0:0] disk iDRAC LCDRIVE 0323 /dev/sda
[4:0:0:0] cd/dvd iDRAC Virtual CD 0323 /dev/sr1
[4:0:0:1] disk iDRAC Virtual Floppy 0323 /dev/sdb
inst-sys:~ # yast
unicode_start skipped on /dev/pts/0
Probing connected terminal…

Initializing virtual console…

Found a PuTTY terminal on /dev/pts/0 (80 columns x 24 lines).
*** Starting YaST2 ***

Hmmm… that is a shame. Maybe disabling the virtual devices in BIOS and/or DRAC setup is a way around this.

You could try blacklisting (using the kernel brokenmodules boot option) the driver which enables Linux to see the devices. lsmod might give a clue which driver to blacklist.

Another option could be found in indeed having AutoYaST ignore the iDRAC devices with the <skip_list config:type=”list”> entry, an option that seems to be new in SLES 11 SP2/openSUSE 12.1 AutoYaST. For that see this blog entry : http://suse.gansert.net/?p=499

Sorry I’m not of more use. Currently no hardware here I can test on.

-Willem

guangsu wrote:
[color=blue]

Updated BIOS version 6.10 still have the same issue. Not sure why
autoyast picks up LCDDRIVE and Virtual Floppy as a HDD device and it’s
before the internal PERC RAID device.

run yast to start the installation

inst-sys:~ # lsscsi
[0:0:32:0] enclosu DP BACKPLANE 1.07 -
[0:2:0:0] disk DELL PERC 6/i 1.22 /dev/sdc
[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd TEAC DVD-ROM DV-28SW R.2A /dev/sr0
[3:0:0:0] disk iDRAC LCDRIVE 0323 /dev/sda
[4:0:0:0] cd/dvd iDRAC Virtual CD 0323 /dev/sr1
[4:0:0:1] disk iDRAC Virtual Floppy 0323 /dev/sdb
inst-sys:~ # yast
unicode_start skipped on /dev/pts/0
Probing connected terminal…

Initializing virtual console…

Found a PuTTY terminal on /dev/pts/0 (80 columns x 24 lines).
*** Starting YaST2 ***

[/color]

Looking at this I would try and disable the virt cd, floppy, and lcdrive in
irdac. Looks to me that it is messing it up. Are you trying to remotely
install? Even the virt cd really looks ok as well. Looks like something with
the Dell bios to me displaying to the os.

Both he and I have tried the skip list functionality, and it doesn’t seem to work. For me, I’ve tried using driver, driver_module, and model as the skip_key, but the result is still the same. I think the devices are picked up in the incorrect order earlier on via udev or other hardware detection.

On a side note, a confirmed workaround I have discovered is to use the brokenmodules kernel command line option to blacklist the modules of the offending hardware. This essentially forces the installer to only load the module of the storage device you want. For instance, since my virtual CDROM and SAN disks are being picked up before the RAID volume, if I do a brokenmodules=qla2xxx,qla2400,usb-storage on the kernel command line, my RAID volume is then recognized as /dev/sda, and the install goes as expected. You need to remember once the OS is installed to comment-out/remove the blacklist lines for these modules from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (they’ll be at the bottom), otherwise those devices will never be seen by the OS. This doesn’t appear to break the system after you reboot or anything. I have a suspicion the issue lies in the installer only, not the installed OS.

Not a very elegant workaround, but it at least lets you install the OS.

I got the installation going with the brokenmodules workaround. Thanks :slight_smile: Hopefully, Novell would fix it the issue so we don’t need to use the workaround.