SLES11sp1 autoinst.xml option for enabling VNC

I’m installing SLES11sp1-x86_64 together with OES11 using pxe boot and AutoYast. I’ve enabled VNC (specified in the menu selection of the …/pxelinux.cfg/default file) for the installation and VNC works fine until the final reboot of the system. Checking via YaST at that point I find that Remote Administration via VNC is disabled and of course I can enable it and it works fine. But I need to build about 50 identical physical servers using this procedure and I’d rather not have this added manual step of enabling VNC.

I though I had simply failed to enable this feature during the initial server build where the autoinst.xml file was created so I went back to that server and ran the AutoInstallation configuration tool. But I don’t see a Module under the NetWork Services group for “Remote Administration (VNC)”.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to manually add this feature to the autoinst.xml file and, if so, the syntax of such an entry? Or if a script can be included in the autoinst.xml file for enabling VNC?

Thanks,
Wes

Hi
Sure it’s not a service that needs to be started in the runlevel
editor (I don’t use VNC)?

Maybe since it’s so many servers, looking a SuSE manager and or web
YaST may be an alternative?

The other alternative is to build your system via SuSE Studio (you can
upload the xml file) at http://susestudio.com test, configure via test
drive and save your changes to a final image.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.19-default
up 2 days 12:57, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Hi Malcolm,

I checked some other resources after posting and find that VNC is controlled via xinetd so if using AutoYast it looks like I have two options…

1. Write the /etc/xinetd.d/vnc file directly using the “files” tag
  2. Use the “inetd” tag to control the xinetd vnc setting as if using YaST does (testing this one now)

You brought up some interesting build alternatives and I’ll definitely look into those!

I registered for SuSE Studio and took a quick look. The OES add-on presents some unique challenges to the automated build process and I’m not sure any of the alternatives, including AutoYast are ideally suited for it.

Thanks for your reply!
Wes

Hi
You can upload rpms to SUSE studio are there many (I’m not an OES
user :frowning: )? You could then script out a post configuration routine to
install that part?

You could even configure a local repository (zypper ar iso:///…) to
be activated post install to add the OES portion and script from
there…

I guess the question is the need for VNC, is it only needed for
administration? Can web YaST and ssh (with/without -X) fulfill your
needs?

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 7:10, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;2475]Hi
You can upload rpms to SUSE studio are there many (I’m not an OES
user :frowning: )? You could then script out a post configuration routine to
install that part?

You could even configure a local repository (zypper ar iso:///…) to
be activated post install to add the OES portion and script from
there…

I guess the question is the need for VNC, is it only needed for
administration? Can web YaST and ssh (with/without -X) fulfill your
needs?

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 7:10, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU[/QUOTE]

Hi, actually VNC works quite well for us and it’s included with SLES so it’s very convenient. I’m sure your suggested tools would work fine but I believe they require additional installation and configuration, VNC is available out of the box. If you’re not familiar with VNC you might take a look here…http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/VNC/vnc-over-ssh.html

My attempt at enabling remote administration via AutoYast using the inetd tag “almost” works. I’m checking the YaST2/y2log to see what happens when enabled via YaST in the running system. I believe it may simply be a restart of xinetd and I should be able to script that in the autoinst.xml file.

Yes, those other methods for installing might indeed work but I’m very close to having AutoYast working. I’ll definitely do some investigation of those methods.

Thanks again for your input!