start up SLED

This is an issue I have seen in SLED 15.0 only.

I can hybernate the PC, no problem. But when I start up fresh, from time to time, randomly, the boot goes fine to login, but thereafter stops before activating the desktop. A hard reset usually helps.
Any idea how I can solve that?

[QUOTE=hcp_dk;59204]This is an issue I have seen in SLED 15.0 only.

I can hybernate the PC, no problem. But when I start up fresh, from time to time, randomly, the boot goes fine to login, but thereafter stops before activating the desktop. A hard reset usually helps.
Any idea how I can solve that?[/QUOTE]
Hi
Maybe a UUID issue with swap (assuming it’s 1.5 times installed RAM), if you check the output from;

cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

Does it use a UUID, if so try changing to the actual /dev/sdXN device name.

1.) Deinstall rpm package kernel-default-extra (=> unsupported kernel modules).
2.) Check your kernel “tainted state”:
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=3582750

cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted

more /etc/modprobe.d/10-unsupported-modules.conf |grep -i -v ^#

allow_unsupported_modules 0

Modern hardware supports “UEFI Secure Boot”. I recommend for security reasons the usage of “UEFI Secure Boot”. For more information about “UEFI Secure Boot”:
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?14400-Extend-Root-Partition&p=59193#post59193

Be aware that “UEFI Secure Boot” doesn’t (yet) support Hibernation/hibernate. See comment 29:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1467045#c29

thanks for quick support.
What is the consequence removing the kernel-default-extra?
I need some software for work.

I tried it, removed kernel.default.extra in package manager. Seems to work.
Thanks for help

Hi Malcolm, the unsupported Kernel was anyway not the reason.

SWAP results are this:
hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~> cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e1659cee-7914-425d-b343-17172a04b02a splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=174M,high crashkernel=72M,low”

I hope I can change it to device name:
Size is: 17 Gb (I use SSD)
name /dev/sda3

What I can’t understand is: The system boot up to login. The only what not happen is start the desktop. The system should be boot up complete?

Yes, I use UEFI boot. I use SSD.

see …
hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~> cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e1659cee-7914-425d-b343-17172a04b02a splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=174M,high crashkernel=72M,low”

[QUOTE=hcp_dk;59254]Yes, I use UEFI boot. I use SSD.

see …
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e1659cee-7914-425d-b343-17172a04b02a splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=174M,high crashkernel=72M,low”[/QUOTE]
Hi
If as root user check the output from;

blkid

Does the UUID correspond with your swap partition? Or you can change it to resume=/dev/sda3 in YaST bootloader, or via command line and rebuild grub.

Hi Malcolm, thanks for support.

linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph # blkid /dev/sda2: UUID="ef477c07-44f4-4f7b-a864-2e3db8ab1da5" UUID_SUB="4beb56de-ab60-493f-a58d-fbfaa80d71e1" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="9b3964d6-99a7-4709-b03b-d74b5616e956" /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="1134-FED2" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="64ed5ad8-cd97-44e6-9bf8-5d34bdaa60a5" /dev/sda3: UUID="e1659cee-7914-425d-b343-17172a04b02a" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="6960820f-3102-4297-8deb-bbedb9bc3238" /dev/sda4: UUID="32d4acc6-dff1-44fc-87f1-078867c6bc18" TYPE="xfs" PARTUUID="0cba231d-53e0-4b24-b2eb-56ecc1e52bab" linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph #

This number I found in DISKS as well for Swap:
UUID=“e1659cee-7914-425d-b343-17172a04b02a”

My impression is X-Windows doesn’t start. I had that before.

Hi
So the system is not dual boot. In the BIOS anything related to fastboot support is disabled?

OK, so if it’s X related, what is your graphics setup?

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"

Hi Malcolm,
I have disabled fastboot support in Bios. I had double boot. But after 3 years I’m confident i SUSE now. :slight_smile: and since version 15 it is really a step ahead - works better than Windows.
Now I change my Server to Linux as well.
I learned the options of Bash and Linux… :slight_smile:
------- X-Window-------------
I think because I get to login window, can login, but the Desktop do not start. And here X-window starts I think. I had in past some issues with x-windows.

hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~> echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE wayland hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~>

hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D" 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] [8086:1916] (rev 07) Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:18d1] Kernel driver in use: i915 Kernel modules: i915 00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device [0000]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub [8086:9d35] (rev 21) Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:18d0] Kernel driver in use: intel_ish_ipc Kernel modules: intel_ish_ipc hans-christoph@linuxSLED:~>
I can’t interpret what this means.

Hi
OK, at the login screen if you select your name and see the cog (bottom right) select that and in the list select GNOME on Xorg, enter your password. Does this give you a desktop session?

Hi Malcolm,

yes. Randomly it happens. I boot up. The login screen appears. I log in as usual (use SLE Gnome Desktop).
And then the screen get black.
I wait.
Usually the desktop appears from center. But in some cases, sometimes often, the desktop does not appears. The screen is black and the mouse is visible.

[QUOTE=hcp_dk;59321]Hi Malcolm,

yes. Randomly it happens. I boot up. The login screen appears. I log in as usual (use SLE Gnome Desktop).
And then the screen get black.
I wait.
Usually the desktop appears from center. But in some cases, sometimes often, the desktop does not appears. The screen is black and the mouse is visible.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Have a look in /var/log/xorg or ~/.local/share/xorg for the Xorg.0.log file can you see errors in this log file?

I can’t find those log files. I searched on the System as well for xorg - exist, xorg.0.log, xorg.log - doesn’t exist.

Hi
OK, next time you boot, press the esc key to see what the boot process is doing, the other output to check through is;

journalctl -b

Looking for the likes of drm, intel and ERROR.

This is a bug in SLED15 SP1. I opened a support request for this (SR101276608721). This bug is still unfixed.

Users must leave this “black screen” by the key combinations:

-- and some seconds later: --

For security reasons, SLED15 SP1 use “Rootless Xorg”.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Rootless_Xorg

You can find the Xorg.0.log under:

~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

For “~” => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde#Directories_and_URLs

I have version 15.0.

[CODE]linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph/.local/share # ls
app-info gnome-settings-daemon icc nautilus tracker
applications gnome-shell keyrings recently-used.xbel Trash
digikam gnote kxmlgui5 remmina vlc
evolution grilo-plugins lftp showfoto webkitgtk
flatpak gsettings-data-convert LibreCAD sounds
gegl-0.3 gstreamer-1.0 marble teamviewer14
gnome-music gvfs-metadata mime totem
linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph/.local/share #

[/CODE]
There is no xorg

linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph/.local/share # whereis xorg xorg: /usr/lib64/xorg linuxSLED:/home/hans-christoph/.local/share #

linuxSLED:/usr/lib64/xorg # ls modules protocol.txt linuxSLED:/usr/lib64/xorg #