SLED 12 - Fail to boot (installer)

Hi,

Decided to try SLED 12 (need a stable nix environment, and as yet haven’t been able to find one for workstation use), and finding that boot hard locks on initd. This occurs on SLED, openSUSE 13.1, 13.2, Fedora & CentOS no matter what, and have been able to work around it on other distro’s (Mint, Antergos) by setting nomodeset and gfxpayload = text, with working natively with Sabayon & Mageia.

I’m assuming its related to the 750 ti and a novaeu driver conflict (rest of specs are asus x99 deluxe, 5920k, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd for reference).

Anyone any suggestions on getting past this? I assume I need to get grub to respect to put itself into VESA mode, but I have no idea why it isn’t respecting nomodeset and gfxpayload.

Regards

Jacob

Hi
If you select failsafe or rescue mode from the dvd it boots?

Are you booting UEFI or Legacy?

If you press ctrl+alt+F10 to get to the kernel logging screen, can you see any additional info on why it’s locking?

Hi Malcolm,

Firstly, thanks for the reply. Booting UEFI, Secure boot disabled and CSM turned off. Rescue mode fails as well. Can’t seem to get to the kernel logging screen as it locks too quickly after selecting Installation or Rescue to get there in the first place.

regards

[QUOTE=jacobkelly;24428]Hi Malcolm,

Firstly, thanks for the reply. Booting UEFI, Secure boot disabled and CSM turned off. Rescue mode fails as well. Can’t seem to get to the kernel logging screen as it locks too quickly after selecting Installation or Rescue to get there in the first place.

regards[/QUOTE]
So what media are you using to boot, dvd or usb device? I know your’ve tried a few without success, I’m assuming your checked the download via md5sum or sha1sum etc? If burned to meadia did you select the slowest burn speed possibe, if to usb device what program did you use.

If you turn on secure boot what happens?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;24429]So what media are you using to boot, dvd or usb device? I know your’ve tried a few without success, I’m assuming your checked the download via md5sum or sha1sum etc? If burned to meadia did you select the slowest burn speed possibe, if to usb device what program did you use.

If you turn on secure boot what happens?[/QUOTE]

Hi Malcolm,

USB Device on the SLED install (ran out of DVD’s with all the other distro’s I’ve burned :P). USB device was made with the SUSE ImageWriter under Windows. Checking the USB installer fails. Out of curiosity, changed to BIOS mode, everything boots fine on the SLED image (didn’t under the more open projects I’ve tried recently), but the image checker fails out saying ‘this isn’t SUSE media’ (well paraphased to that effect).

Turned on secure boot, no change under UEFI. At this point I guess next port of call is to buy some more DVD’s so I can check the burn to rule it out.

[QUOTE=jacobkelly;24436]Hi Malcolm,

USB Device on the SLED install (ran out of DVD’s with all the other distro’s I’ve burned :P). USB device was made with the SUSE ImageWriter under Windows. Checking the USB installer fails. Out of curiosity, changed to BIOS mode, everything boots fine on the SLED image (didn’t under the more open projects I’ve tried recently), but the image checker fails out saying ‘this isn’t SUSE media’ (well paraphased to that effect).

Turned on secure boot, no change under UEFI. At this point I guess next port of call is to buy some more DVD’s so I can check the burn to rule it out.[/QUOTE]
Hi
I’ve never used imagewriter on windows (only openSUSE or SLED). On the UEFI system, are they USB 3.0 ports? Or have you tried other USB ports with the usb device?

One option is to grab the openSUSE 13.1 rescue cd and put that onto a usb device, you can install programs (eg imagewriter) as it’s persistant and create a bootable device.

Did you check the md5sum of the iso image download?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;24439]Hi
I’ve never used imagewriter on windows (only openSUSE or SLED). On the UEFI system, are they USB 3.0 ports? Or have you tried other USB ports with the usb device?

One option is to grab the openSUSE 13.1 rescue cd and put that onto a usb device, you can install programs (eg imagewriter) as it’s persistant and create a bootable device.

Did you check the md5sum of the iso image download?[/QUOTE]

Hi Malcolm,

So today bought a new graphics card to put in (Nvidia 970), install works without a hitch with the USB key (bought DVD’s too but didn’t have a need to use them). Thanks for your help with this; unfortunately have just come to the conclusion that 750 ti’s are horrible with nix \ nouveau needs to die a horrible death.

Regards

Jacob