Suse 11.1 instillation

Hey guys I’m new to suse.com and am looking for help on a problem I have.
I’m new to linux and am currently a windows user so I know very little, so please bear with me :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m trying to install Opensuse 11.1 on my laptop which currently has windows 7 installed.
So here’s my problem, when I try to install OpenSuse 11.1 in the begging of the installation a message pops up called “YaST2” and says
"The partitioning on disk /dev/sda is not readable by the partitioning tool parted, which is used to change the partition table.

You can use the partitions on disk /dev/sda as they are.You can format them and assign mount points to them, but you cannot add, edit, re size, or remove partitions from that disk with this tool."

I can get past this but I think it is related to my main problem.

I continue going through the installation until I get to a page which says “Suggestted Partitioning” and read text which says
“No automatic proposal possible. Specify mount points manually in the ‘Partitioner’ dialog.”

I have tried to figure out how to do this but I can’t.

I’m not sure what to do now and I have not found any help from just reading.
I’m not 100% sure of the specs of my laptop but I can get them if needed.

Not sure if I’m supposed to post this here so please forgive me.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Welcome to SUSE and Linux in general!

Unfortunately, you’ve picked the wrong forum, this for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, and openSUSE 11.1 went end of life quite some time ago so installing it is a bit like deciding to a new install of Windows XP.

If you head over to http://software.opensuse.org you can download the current version of openSUSE which at present is 13.1. The openSUSE forums are at https://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php and there’s plenty of people who’ll be able to help you there. You can use the same account to post there that you’ve created to post here. One important thing you don’t mention in your post is whether you want to keep Windows 7 installed. If you do, then make sure you have backed up any important data in the windows install before you start.

Thanks for the help!!! I’ll do that.