Suse 11.2 wireless not work

Hi,

I am new in Linux. Today I installed the SUSE Linux 11 then with the wifi I can’t connect to the internet. I have the following system information:

SUSE Linux Release 11,
Kernel Linux 2.6.32.29-0.3-pae
Gnome 2.28.2

If I navigate to YaST-Hardware Information there is Wireless LAN tab and this has a ‘Realtek WLAN controller’ value.

In GNOME Terminal I execute the following commands and get the below values:

/sbin/lspci
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8176 (rev 01)

/sbin/lspci -n
02:00.0 0280: 10ec:8176 (rev 01)

/usr/sbin/iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 802.11bgn Nickname:“rtl8192CE”
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:65 Mb/s
Retry:on RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=10/100 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-100 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :

eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning.

In Yast/Network devices/Network settings on the Global Options tab
Network setup method is set to User controlled with network manager value. On the
Overview tab I get the following information: Realtec WLAN controller(Not connected).

On the main navigation bar,i n the right down side the network connection icon appear but the status is : No network connection. If I right click on it the Enable networking and enable wireless checkbox is set on. If I click on edit connection on wireless tab I create a new connection. After that I can’t connect to any wireless network.

What I am doing wrong or what I have to install in order to connect to the Internet? Thank you for your help.

Welcome to Linux/SUSE!

I think the first thing we need to do is establish which version of SUSE you’re using. Your subject header says ‘Suse 11.2’ which could be taken to mean either SUSE Linux Desktop Enterprise 11 SP2 , or openSUSE 11.2.
Can you post the output of

$ cat /etc/SuSE-release

Either way I think my answer would be reinstall with the current version. SUSE Linux Desktop Enterprise 11 SP2 will go End Of Life soon and is superseded by SUSE Linux Desktop Enterprise 11 SP3. If you’re using SUSE Linux Desktop Enterprise 11 SP2 you will have to update soon, so since you’re just starting out you may as well start out with the latest version. openSUSE 11.2 is very old, current version is 13.1. Often problems with hardware functionality can be solved simply by updating to the latest version.

I run the cat /etc/SuSE-release on my computer and I get the following result:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1

I will try to updater to the latest version.
Thank you for your help.

[QUOTE=fulopt740505;17680]I run the cat /etc/SuSE-release on my computer and I get the following result:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1

I will try to updater to the latest version.
Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that’s SLED 11 SP1 which went End Of Life over a year ago. You really don’t want to be starting out with that :wink:
You can follow links from https://www.suse.com/products/desktop/ to get to the downloads but direct link for SLED 11 SP3 isos is http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Nw5At9_UZaA~ You only need DVD1.