SUSE 11 in Parallels has no repositories

Hello, I own a MAC, and recently I installed SUSE 11 with the virtualization software Parallels. I did this using a dvd.iso. When I go to the software-repositories, there seems to be only the installation dvd as a repo. Are there any additional repos that I can add?? Also I have another iso file called DVD2.ISO, and would like to add this also to the repo’s, but I don’t know where to look in the virtualized drive… Thanks in advance, Frank

Hi
What version of SLE?

cat /etc/SuSE-release

You can add the iso image via YaST software repositories as an iso image to become a local repository. Or add the iso as a second dvd device in your vm if it’s on the host.

If it’s a supported release of SLES, then you need to register it with an activation code (or eval code for 60 day try out) for the system to add the online repositories. You can use YaST and Customer Center to register.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;27373]Hi
What version of SLE?

cat /etc/SuSE-release

You can add the iso image via YaST software repositories as an iso image to become a local repository. Or add the iso as a second dvd device in your vm if it’s on the host.

If it’s a supported release of SLES, then you need to register it with an activation code (or eval code for 60 day try out) for the system to add the online repositories. You can use YaST and Customer Center to register.[/QUOTE]

the version number is enterprise server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL =0

Also I do not have an activation code, but to start the trial I don’t know where to look in YAST. Thanks in advance, Frank

Hi
That version is out of support and no updates…

Install the latest version SLES 12? You can get an activation code here
as well when clicking on the 60 day free trial;
https://www.suse.com/products/server/

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

ok so I signed up and downloaded the amd64 dvd1, but it seems to be a rescue disk and asks for a login and password… Did I fetch the wrong image?

thanks in advance, Frank

[QUOTE=frankjeman;27379]ok so I signed up and downloaded the amd64 dvd1, but it seems to be a rescue disk and asks for a login and password… Did I fetch the wrong image?

thanks in advance, Frank[/QUOTE]
Hi
On the first screen (grub) did it not show an installation option? DVD1 also has a rescue disk option, maybe it’s auto booting to that?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;27380]Hi
On the first screen (grub) did it not show an installation option? DVD1 also has a rescue disk option, maybe it’s auto booting to that?[/QUOTE]

on the first screen it only shows the rescue option, there is no choice for installation…

grtz, Frank

[QUOTE=frankjeman;27391]on the first screen it only shows the rescue option, there is no choice for installation…

grtz, Frank[/QUOTE]

What is the filename of the ISO you’ve downloaded and what is the URL for where you download it from?

The SLES 12 ISO is called
SLE-12-Server-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso
can be downloaded from
https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=FFg0PzSTGrw~

You do want the Server version of SLE, right? I ask just to be certain, partly because you described what you initially installed as ‘SUSE 11’ rather than SLES 11, partly to try and ensure you get the right thing. Also I’d expect someone installing in a virtual machine on their desktop would probably want the Desktop version. But if you’re looking to set a server at some point and want to take a look at SLES first then installing it in a virtual machine is a good thing to do.

The filename you described above is the one I downloaded. Actually I do not need the server edition, so if there is a link to the desktop version it would be nice.
thanks in advance, Frank

[QUOTE=frankjeman;27393]The filename you described above is the one I downloaded. Actually I do not need the server edition, so if there is a link to the desktop version it would be nice.
thanks in advance, Frank[/QUOTE]

https://www.suse.com/products/desktop/

Click the link for 60 day free trial to get an activation code and link to the ISO. ISOs can also be downloaded from https://download.suse.com/

Note that after 60 days your install will keep working but you will no longer receive any updates. If you want to continue to get updates you’ll need to buy a subscription. If you’re not looking for a distro that requires a subscription to receive updates check out openSUSE https://www.opensuse.org

ok, I have downloaded and installed the desktop version, it is running well on VMware Fusion, but also here there is only the install dvd as repo. There is nowhere I can find the way to activate this distribution.

grtz, Frank

[QUOTE=frankjeman;27396]ok, I have downloaded and installed the desktop version, it is running well on VMware Fusion, but also here there is only the install dvd as repo. There is nowhere I can find the way to activate this distribution.
[/QUOTE]

Wasnt there a step in the install process for entering an activation code? It’s a while since I did a non-automated install.

To register post install use SUSE Customer Centre in YaST.

When I enter the activation code in YAST, it says that the code is invalid. I tried it several times, but still the same result…

thnx, Frank

Hi
It may take a day or so to propagate into the system. If you log into
SCC (https://scc.suse.com/dashboard) is it present?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;27412]Hi
It may take a day or so to propagate into the system. If you log into
SCC (https://scc.suse.com/dashboard) is it present?

please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks, this indeed worked for me, it added a wide range of repositories to Yast.

grtz, Frank

ok, so after spending some time looking around in SuSE 12, I noticed that the opensource equivalent opensuse is in my opinion more versatile, has more software choices, etc.

grtz, Frank

Hi
Yes and no :wink: Anything running on the current openSUSE 13.2 release can
be built and run on SLE 12, just not supported…

Have you looked around the openSUSE Build Service (OBS);
http://software.opensuse.org/search?

Hit the spanner on the right to select the distribution of choice (or
all).

What specific packages/applications are you after?

no specific software in particular, just the overall experience makes me wonder why I should bye a license, or just run (for personal use only) OpenSuSe 13.2…

thnx, frank

Hi
Upgrading period is longer, longer support for the environment. I’m
just a home user as well, I run both openSUSE and SLE. My wife is still
running SLED 11 SP3 and doesn’t want to change…maybe SP4 will be out
soon, but it’s still getting updates :wink:

If I need something specific I just use OBS/osc and the packaging tools
to roll my own.