SuSe 9 on a z/EC12

Got a question and I am not looking for official support answer but more of will it.

We still have some SuSe 9 servers here and we are looking at moving to a EC12
Will SuSe9 run on a EC12 (supported or not)
Is there any functionality that will not work (DASD,FCP,Network,Crypto and so on)?

We are migrating off SuSe 9 but may not complete before the EC12 is in place so I would like to understand the impacts.

TIA
Sandra

[QUOTE=carros1;14839]Got a question and I am not looking for official support answer but more of will it.

We still have some SuSe 9 servers here and we are looking at moving to a EC12
Will SuSe9 run on a EC12 (supported or not)
Is there any functionality that will not work (DASD,FCP,Network,Crypto and so on)?

We are migrating off SuSe 9 but may not complete before the EC12 is in place so I would like to understand the impacts.

TIA
Sandra[/QUOTE]

Hi Sandra,

I don’t have any experience with the IBM enterprise class systems, so don’t have anything I can hand you there. Others might chime in that do.

Have you also dropped this question with your IBM vendor/support channel? I think this is more a a question of if SLES 9z will be able to run on (supported or not) a EC12 rather then SLES 9z (which is not supported anymore anyway) running on an EC12… if you know what I mean :slight_smile:

Wishing you a swift migration to the EC12!

-Willem

In LPAR mode, not likely. Under zVM ,possibly, but you really want to be on SLES 11 SP3 for EC12. SP3 has specific optimizations for the EC12. It’s a great machine.