Suse Manager 4 unable to add with bootstrap

I get the error of " Cannot read/write '/var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts" when i try to add (bootstrap) a machine.

Hi,
I have installed a trial version of suse manager 4.0 with the intent to purchase.
I have installed it from scratch from DVD. I have a subscription for sles 15 and got the 60 day trial.
I have updated sles 15 to 15 sp1 and installed all the latest updates for it.
when I login to suse manager web UI and go to the boot stap page to start to add machines, I end up with the error of “Cannot read/write '/var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts”

I have checked the permissions on the server and they are salt:salt.
I have given full rights to all to see if that’s an issue, and the web UI still throws up the error.

I did log a support call about this and got closed as they don’t support the trial version of it.

I have done a search of the error and found this
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7023506
but it’s to do with 3.1 and 3.2.

I’m now stuck on what to do, and with the 60 day timer continuing to count down.

Cheers for the help

Tim Paice
Systems engineer.

[QUOTE=TFP_nzqa;58721]I get the error of " Cannot read/write '/var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts" when i try to add (bootstrap) a machine.

Hi,
I have installed a trial version of suse manager 4.0 with the intent to purchase.
I have installed it from scratch from DVD. I have a subscription for sles 15 and got the 60 day trial.
I have updated sles 15 to 15 sp1 and installed all the latest updates for it.
when I login to suse manager web UI and go to the boot stap page to start to add machines, I end up with the error of “Cannot read/write '/var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts”

I have checked the permissions on the server and they are salt:salt.
I have given full rights to all to see if that’s an issue, and the web UI still throws up the error.

I did log a support call about this and got closed as they don’t support the trial version of it.

I have done a search of the error and found this
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7023506
but it’s to do with 3.1 and 3.2.

I’m now stuck on what to do, and with the 60 day timer continuing to count down.

Cheers for the help

Tim Paice
Systems engineer.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I have understood how you installed SUSE Manager 4.0.

Is this it?

1. Installed SLES 15.0
  2. Upgraded SLES 15.0 to 15 SP1
  3. Installed SUSE Manager 4.0 Server using YaST

If that’s what you did, then it’s not supported and it’s know to fail:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-MANAGER/4.0/#_suse_manager_installation

What’s the OS in the machine you are trying to bootstrap?

[QUOTE=pagarcia;58741]

What’s the OS in the machine you are trying to bootstrap?[/QUOTE]
The server I’m trying to bootstrap in SUSE 15.

Thanks for the link to the documentation about installing on top of the server may cause issues.

I installed SUSE manager by downloading the install ISO and loading it into the VM.
Once booted from the install disk I chose SUSE manager 4.0 from the selection menu.
I entered the subscription for SUSE 15 and then entered the SUSE manager key that i got for the trial.

Sounds like something went wrong during the install. ill blow away the server and start installing again and see if that helps.

[QUOTE=TFP_nzqa;58721]I get the error of " Cannot read/write '/var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts" when i try to add (bootstrap) a machine.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the easiest way to solve this, to check if your system has all the permissions like it should have.
If not, please change them.

How it should be:

drwxr-xr-x 3 salt salt /var/lib/
drwx------ 2 salt salt /var/lib/.ssh/
-rw-r–r-- 1 salt salt /var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts

Please check also /etc/sudoers.d/ . There should be only 1 file called spacewalk and it should contain,
beside of others, the following line:

tomcat ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/ls -la /var/lib/salt/.ssh/known_hosts