suse printer issue please help.

I am new to this and have very little knowlegde using linux / suse

I am trying to configure a printer that is connected to a windows 7 pc using the printer manager GUI on KDE 3.5

The printer works fine when connected to a windows XP pc.

Because of recent upgrades I need the printer (EPSON LX 300+) to work via a windows 7 machine.

I have redirected the printer to this machine via the printer manager console but it does not print.

I have a simple network that operates through a workgroup setup.

Please help !!!

Hi momayet10,

please start with telling us which SLES version you are using.

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens

Firstly thanks in advance

As I said I am totally new to all this. so i think its Linux version 2.6.16.21
suse linus enterprise server 10
kde 3.5.1

Previously the printer was connected via smb to a XP PC and works fine.

I have searched and found that printing via smb to win7/8 is very troublesome, so I have gone out and purchased a 1 port print server.

I have installed the printer to this and I am able to print a test page via the KDE printer console.
But I cannot print via my APP. The app is sitting on the SUSE box and use ANITA to use my app via windows.

Please let me know what you think .

Your assitance is much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi momayet10,

As I said I am totally new to all this.

no problem with that - we all where starters at some point i time.

[“i think its”] suse linus enterprise server 10

(“cat /etc/SuSE-release” is a good starting point as it names the installed service pack, too.) SLES10 is rather old, but let’s see:

In your opening message, you wrote that the printer (EPSON LX 300+) is connected to a Windows 7 machine so you’d need to print via that Win7 box.
In your last message, you wrote that you have it connected via a 1port print server. So in theory, SLES may be configured to print to the print server, rather than a Win7 queue.

In your opening message, you wrote “I have redirected the printer to this machine via the printer manager console but it does not print.”
In your last message, you wrote “I have installed the printer to this and I am able to print a test page via the KDE printer console.”

Do I see it correctly that the problem is not that you cannot print to the printer, but that the application doesn’t print to the printer? If it is so - how does that problem manifest?

• Can you select the printer from within the application’s print menu?
  • Does any output go to the printer when printing from the application?
  • Is the output fully/partially garbled?

Usually, printing on SLES10 (IIRC) is done via CUPS. So you add the printer to CUPS and have it manage the print queue. The application needs to be aware of the printer somehow, optimally by supporting KDE’s print dialog (which in turn supports CUPS), at least by an ability to invoke “lp”.

We’ll need more details on how you’re trying to print to decide where the actual problem is. It’s a good start that you can print the (CUPS?) test page from the SLES box, so your printer is at least supported and properly configured to the system.

Regards,
Jens

I only decided to use the print server as i thought it would elimibate the need to direct the printer thtough windows 7

I cant select the printer as the app is preconfigured to print on that que number

The first time i tried to configure the que to point to the printer on windows 7 and got errors cannot connect to cifs host
And could not print even a test page. Test page remained in que with status processing.

Now i have that que configured via the print server and i am able to print a test page. but cant print from the app
It seems the job goes to the printer but nothing prints. the printer doesnt even make a noise its stays in standby.

Before all of this i had the printer connected to a xp pc and the que configured to the xp machine. All works well with xp.
Just cant seem to understand y it doesnt work as well with windows 7 i would have thought all u neeeded to do was change the pc name in the printers url

I have followed guides, changed firewall settings, and network settings, just no luck

I hope myy explanation above helps

A good choice, from my point of view.

Hm, queues are typically selected by a name, not by a number. Might it be that that application always prints to “the default printer”?

[QUOTE=momayet10;10652]Now i have that que configured via the print server and i am able to print a test page. but cant print from the app
It seems the job goes to the printer but nothing prints. the printer doesnt even make a noise its stays in standby.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good starting point for debugging this.

Just for a common understanding: The application on the Linux host prints to a printer queue - once the job is spooled to the queue, the job’s done from the application’s point of view.

The print queue processor may have to convert the print job’s content to the proper format.

Then the processed content is spooled to the printer - from Linux’ point of view, that’s the print server box, not the printer itself. That print server then will spool (or directly feed) the job to the actual printer.

As the test page prints fine, we can cut short :wink:

The scenario I see is that either the jobs are still queued for some reason, or the jobs failed for a post-processing reason.

Are you familiar with CUPS administration through the browser interface? If you have a browser on the Linux server machine, go to “http://127.0.0.1:631” to connect to the CUPS server - from there, you can click to the printer(s) and see what jobs are pending/finished for which queue.
When you need to access via a remote browser, things may be more complicated since AFAIK the default CUPS setup is limiting admin access to the local host and therefore would need modification.

Another way (rather than browser access) to see at least all currently queued jobs would be to invoke “lpq -a” on the server. If you see all your jobs there, then we’ll have to check why the jobs aren’t spooled to the printer (server). Although I doubt that: since the test page prints fine queuing should work, too.

When it comes to printing errors (when no waiting jobs could be found, then the jobs seem to have aborted for some error), debugging will include checking the log & error files in /var/log/cups - i.e. using “more”, you’d have to give some feedback on how you get along.

[QUOTE=momayet10;10652]Before all of this i had the printer connected to a xp pc and the que configured to the xp machine. All works well with xp.
Just cant seem to understand y it doesnt work as well with windows 7 i would have thought all u neeeded to do was change the pc name in the printers url

I have followed guides, changed firewall settings, and network settings, just no luck

I hope myy explanation above helps[/QUOTE]

Yes, it seems I got a pretty good idea of what you’re trying to do. I’ve avoided printing via Windows systems for obvious reasons, so I cannot tell why the switch from XP to Win7 gave you so much trouble. But OTOH, as you now have a print server, let’s rather get that working :slight_smile:

With regards,
Jens