SUSE11SP3 kiwi config for AWS EC2

Hi,
I am trying to build HVM image for SUSE 11 SP3 using kiwi tool.

There are few basic questions:

1. Do we have kiwi example somewhere for building SUSE 11 SP3 HVM EC2 image for AWS?
    My SUSE 11 SP3 machine has kiwi version v5.05.26 installed.
    I checked few places but the example is given for opensuse not SUSE 11 SP3. Is it fine to try them out with repo change?
    https://github.com/openSUSE/kiwi/tree/KIWI-505-SuSE-13-1-Devel/doc/examples

When I try to give firmware as ec2hvm, it fails with unsupported firmware. May be I can upgrade the kiwi?

1. Is it mandatory to use kiwi in the same version SUSE build machine? Or can we use any latest opensuse machine as my build machine(where we can use latest kiwi version to support ec2hvm firmware).

2. For building the HVM AMI, are there any specific requirement? I am giving kernel-default-base and kernel-default packages for kernel.

I am not sure if this is correct forum for kiwi related queries. Please let me know if I shall post it somewhere else.

Hi,

There are issue with building really old images such as SLES 11 SP3 on a new host, but I think it can still be made to work. It’s been a while since I have done this and thus I do not remember the details, sorry. That said you definitely need a version of kiwi that supports “ec2hvm” as firmware setting. We build our SLES 11 SP4 images with kiwi version 7.02.78.

Here is the definition we use:

You need to include xen-kmp-default in the initrd

There’s a mailing list for kiwi specific questions: kiwi-images at googlegroups dot com, subscription required.

Thank you:) Upgrading the kiwi version on my SUSE11SP3 build machine with SUSE11 SP4 update version (5.05.89) helped to build the SUSE 11SP3 RAW image for AWS. Though I still am looking for validation forum. I will try putting it in the forum you mentioned. Thanks again:)

[QUOTE=rjschwei;40662]Hi,

There are issue with building really old images such as SLES 11 SP3 on a new host, but I think it can still be made to work. It’s been a while since I have done this and thus I do not remember the details, sorry. That said you definitely need a version of kiwi that supports “ec2hvm” as firmware setting. We build our SLES 11 SP4 images with kiwi version 7.02.78.

Here is the definition we use:

You need to include xen-kmp-default in the initrd

[/QUOTE]