There is a problem with the configuration server...

Using Enterprise Server 11 with SP3 installed. This system was functional at one point.
To correct some problems with permissions I changed the smb.conf file. As far as I know that was the last thing I did. When I was trying to exit root and goto the user the system failed to recognize the root password so I couldn’t shut down. I powered the computer off and on and all I get is the following error: There is a problem with the configuration server /usr/lib/gconf/2/GConf-sanity-check 2 exited with status 256 In the corner of the message it has a button labelled ‘log-out’.

I am thinking if I can get to the file system and replace the smb.conf file with the backup that I made that would correct this problem. Although, I am surprised that the smb.conf file would get tested at this point.

Is there any kind of method to get to the file system on the machine? Thanks

Hi
Can you boot in failsafe or rescue mode (from the install media). Else
add init=/bin/bash at the grub edit option.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel
3.12.43-52.6-default If you find this post helpful and are logged into
the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star
below… Thanks!

Great Idea to use the install media. I put this in the DVD drive and used F12 to boot from DVD. It went thru a boot sequence and I get a prompt that says rescue. In the Admin guide section 12.5 it talks about selecting correct language and keyboard in linuxrc. I never see anything like this. Just the aforementioned prompt. Then it goes on to say load the kernel modules and shows pictures of a screen. Don’t see anything like that either. I am thinking I missed a step or maybe my installation disk is missing this because I have not been able to find it. Most likely I am missing something.

Hi
So this is after selecting rescue mode? If so press the esc key to see
what is happening.

When at the prompt, if it asks you to login, use root and press enter
when asked for a password.

In rescue mode nothing is mounted, you need to perform mounting a
partition manually…

mkdir /tmp_mnt
mount /<some_dev>/<some_partition> /tmp_mnt

below… Thanks!

Malcolm, thanks for all the help!
I first tried the rescue from the install disk. For some reason that stopped at the rescue piece and did not install the linuxrc piece. I then decided to try editing the GRUB.
I used f12 to get to the boot selection menu. Then selected the linux 11 and as soon as the screen came up his . It stopped and gave a boot fail message. At this point I took a closer look and discovered that it is using something called ‘elilo’. I believe that this is the boot loader that was installed on this machine.
A little background. This machine has been worked on by two different consultants. The first one installed ubunto instead of suse (Novell). The second one installed the Novell, and as I said this was working well except I have a SAMBA issue. While working on the SAMBA issue I hosed the smb.conf.
The one thing I have found is that it is very difficult to find people that really know these systems.
The question is no is this elilo something that Novell approves of? Would I be better off to just make another copy (download) of the distribution and start from scratch. I definitely do not like the idea of using unapproved pieces. Also, it appears that the ubunto is still on this server and I specifically asked the second consultant to wipe the system clean and start over. I do not think that it has caused any issues.
If this elilo is something that came on the distribution then is there any method to modify it?
Thank You

Hi
Yes, elilo is available, so your booting in EFI mode? Anyway pressing
esc key should allow editing the boot options?

Or it could be using the Ubuntu loader…?

below… Thanks!

Hi Malcolm,
It is using the EFI boot system.
It turns out the Ubuntu was using a GRUB booter; however, when I tried to put that nothing happened. The ubuntu was scrubbed from the system.
I am going to look on the install disk for information on the installed boot system.
I tried pressing esc key and it just stops the boot program and takes me back to the BIOS area of the boot process.
Thanks again for your assistance!
Jim

Hi
On the system can you select (as in browse) to an ‘efi’ file with (F12)
the BIOS boot option?

If so you should be able to find the elilo efi file select and it
should boot.

below… Thanks!

Hi
Without putting the installation disk in the drive I did the following:
Started the machine and waited till it asked to select what to boot (F12)
Hit F12 and the boot menu came up. So everything works fine to this point, W/O install disk.
Selected to load SLES 11.
Elilo boot loader came up.
hit space key which gave me a prompt to input code.
As I mentioned before the main problem is there is a defective file on the install that I am trying to replace. It is the smb.conf file to be exact.
At this point if I knew what to put in I should be able to get the file system to come up and then copy a replacement file from the DVD/ROM drive to the file system?
I think that I could also do this in the rescue mode.
Does this make sense to you?
Thanks,
Jim

The problem has been solved and the Suse 11 is now booting fine.
The real issue was finding some way to determine what the Volume structure looked like so that the file system could be mounted.
After messing with the rescue system for a couple of weeks I switched to running Knoppix. Put a Knoppix DVD into the drive and booted with that. Then examined the installed file system and mounted that. Now could get to the SLES 11 files and repair the damage. There was an issue where the LV was not available, this was corrected by vgchange -a y.
System is working fine now.