.Trash-0 folder

Here’s a dumb question.:slight_smile: My sles11sp2 server is setup with /var on a separate partition. Using the gnome gui, I delete a file from /var/log. The file never goes to the trash can like when I delete a file off the root partition. I did figure out that a folder is created in /var called .Trash-0 where the deleted file are moved to. Is there a way to create another trash icon to point to and empty this folder or do I just delete the folder altogether if I don’t need whats in it?

Hi
If you don’t need it then delete it :wink:

If in a GUI, hold down the shift key when you delete and it won’t create a .Trash folder/files.

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, do you know why files deleted from separate partitions don’t go into trash?

Because the files would have to be moved between partitions and that takes time and risks there not being enough disk space on the partition that your home directory is on.

If you move 2GB of files to another location on the same partition it’s essentially instantaneous because it’s just changes to the metadata, not data is actually moved, and no additional space is used on that partition. Of you move 2GB files between partitions you have to wait whilst the data is actually copied and hope there is 2GB free on the partition the data is being moved to.

Trash works according to The FreeDesktop.org Trash specification
http://standards.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-0.8.html