Trying to install "Mono-complete"

Good morning all:
I am a newbie with mono and I am looking for an alternative to Microsoft IIS. After discussing this issue with SUSE / Microfocus support the engineers suggested I review the SUSE LINUX 11 package which supports Mono. The mono application will support VB .NET software and the migration should be do-able. I’ve configured a SUSE Linux 11 spk4 server with APACHE and also configure SAMBA for our IT Programmers. They create VB programs using Visual Studio and need an easy way to migrate existing VB code to the LINUX system… Samba provides this easy path. Now for the issue at hand: Installing Mono. This process has been interesting and I’ve tried several ways to install the mono-complete application from the mono-project website. I’m trying the “1 Click complete” procedure. The program opens, calls YAST and begins… However the install process only installs “partial mono-complete”. Can anyone outline what is happening, why this process fails to install the entire application and what other resources are available to isolate this problem? I’ve been reviewing and trying this step for a day or so and frustration is beginning to set in… Any insight the this problem or suggestions would be greatly appreciated from this FORM.

Hi
So when you say mono-project website do you have a reference URL, can
you also post the output from (as root user) to see what repositories
are active;

zypper lr

You not wanting the mono 2.6 that comes with SLE 11 SP4?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.4|3.12.51-60.25-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Malcolm:

Thank you for your reply: As mentioned I am a “newbie” with the mono application. I find the install process to date a bit comber some and am in need of some direction. I’ve installed the standard mono features which come with SLES 11 spk4, but haven’t a clue how to use them. After checking the www.mono-project.com website it also refers to a “mono-complete” 1 click install. I tried that as well and the YAST application only installs a portion of the product. In addition your question about repositories… at this writing I do not know what they are or how they work. If you or your team can outline what my problem is with mono and what a repository signifies I would greatly apprieciate any insight to my issue.
My best,
Dante

Hi
If you open up a terminal and change to root user using the commands
below;

su -

zypper lr

Post back the output in code tags (it’s the # button in the advanced
editor for a forum post).

We might need to clean things up a bit to get back to the default mono
install from the SLES repositories (or remove and replace with the
mono-complete).

I’ve not done anything with mono aside from building an already created
package…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.4|3.12.51-60.25-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!