UEFI boot using SLES11-SP2 ISO

I am trying to create a new bootable ISO image using original bootable SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image. bootx64.efi(EFI loader) of original SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image is loading properly when i try to load using original SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image. I created new ISO from original SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image without doing modifications to contents of original SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image and used to boot but system is not recognizing the bootx64.efi(loader) of new ISO.please help me in this regard.

I created new ISO using MKISOFS command(mkisofs -r -R -j -T -l -v -cache-inodes -o “dest path” -b “isolinux.bin path” -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -b “efi path” -no-emul-boot “ISO image path”)

Hi Ningappa,

I’m not sure I fully understand: “I created new ISO from original SLES11-SP2(x64) ISO Image without doing modifications to contents” sounds to me like you want to copy the DVD… in other words, you already have an ISO image file and want to burn a new DVD from it.

If I got that right, then “mkisofs” sounds like the wrong command to use - it would create a new DVD ISO file system, containing the original ISO file as the only file of the image. Shouldn’t you just burn the original ISO to a new medium?

What struck my eye is the use of “-r -R”, while according to the man page ("-r This is like the -R option, but…") the -R seems redundant. Then the last parameter you name is “ISO image path” - but that should be the name of a directory containing the files to put into the ISO, hence I’d expect the new ISO to contain only the original ISO file, rather than the contents of the original ISO.

But I may be completely wrong, I rarely use mkisofs directly…

Regards,
Jens

I created rescue image using sles11-sp1 ISO using command(command is fine). it works fine(i mean in UEFI shell fs0:efi\boot\bootx64.efi will load rescue image). now I am trying to create rescue Image for sles11-SP2. when i try to use rescue image of SP2 to boot (in UEFI shell fs0:efi\boot\bootx64.efi is not loading rescue image showing msgs like “it’s not external or internal commnad”),it’s failing.

by using original ISO image of SLES11-SP2 (in UEFI shell fs0:efi\boot\bootx64.efi will load rescue image) works fine. so what I did is
/mnt:-mount sles11-sp2.iso /mnt/iso -o loop
/mnt:-cp /mnt/iso/* /mnt/cpiso/ -rf
/mnt:-cd /mnt/cpiso/
/mnt/cpiso:-mkisofs -R -j -T -l -v -cache-inodes -o “dest path” -b “isolinux.bin path” -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -b “efi path” -no-emul-boot . (current directory contents)

I tried to boot using the ISO which is created using above command to boot,UEFI shell not recognising the bootx64.efi(boot loader).

UEFI shell recognizing bootx64.efi of original SP1 ISO image and ISO which is created by extracting all the files of orginal ISO.(tried this one also)
UEFI shell recognizing the bootx64.efi of original SP2 ISO image why not bootx64.efi of the ISO which is created by extracting all the files of orginal ISO.:confused:???

Hi Ningappa,

ah, ok, I obviously got that completely wrong from your first message, sorry about that.

As I have no specific experience in the area of UEFI, I’ll check my contacts if someone can offer some help.

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jen,
as I am new to Linux,don’t know how and where I get solution for that problem…
I would be happy If get little help also to solve…

Hi
What your trying to achieve (rescue mode) is already present on the DVD?

If booting in UEFI mode you should see the ELILO boot: prompt, yes?

If you do, just press the tab key to bring up the rescue option.
eg

fs1:
efi\\boot\\bootx64.efi

ELILO boot: ..
<press tab>
linux
rescue
linux-noGOP
rescue-noGOP
(or a kernel file name: [[dev_name:/]path/]kernel_image cmdline options)

ELILO boot:

If you don’t see the ELILO prompt then it’s not booting in UEFI mode…

What hardware is it your trying to boot from?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.28-2.20-desktop
up 1:32, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

I tried on IBM System X 3550 M2 and ESX virtual machine…:o
by using UEFI shell I am able to see \efi\boot\bootx64.efi on fs0:
i entered fs0:efi\boot\bootx64.efi in UEFI shell,it shows that efi\boot\bootx64.efi is not recognised as an internal or external command…
if i use original ISO it works. if i create new iso(using command) from original it doen’t work…
new iso has same size,all files of original ISO and md5sum is also same…

Hi Ningappa,

[QUOTE=Ningappa;11895]I tried on IBM System X 3550 M2 and ESX virtual machine…:o
by using UEFI shell I am able to see \efi\boot\bootx64.efi on fs0:
i entered fs0:efi\boot\bootx64.efi in UEFI shell,it shows that efi\boot\bootx64.efi is not recognised as an internal or external command…
if i use original ISO it works. if i create new iso(using command) from original it doen’t work…
new iso has same size,all files of original ISO and md5sum is also same…[/QUOTE]

you mean the md5sums of the indivual files are the same, but the md5sum of the ISOs differ? Then it seems to be a question of finding the proper options to create the ISO.

(If it were identical md5sums of the ISOs, then something would be really weird…)

Regards,
Jens

Hi
And you are sure ‘fs0:’ is the dvd? On my two notebooks running UEFI
it’s ‘fs1:’

So what is the ultimate goal on re-creating the iso image?
Slip-streaming updates?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.28-2.20-desktop
up 23:26, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Hi Cheers Malcolm,

I am sure about that fs0: is my DVD…
it’s showing all contents(bootx64.efi,bootx64.conf,linuz n initrd files)…

Hi Jen,

there is no issues with sles11 sp1 but not with sles11 sp2…:o:confused:

Hi Cheers Malcolm,

it’s BIOS bootable but not uefi…

Hi Ningappa,

as I’m not experienced enough with UEFI to be of real help here, Malcolm has offered to help out… but I’m still watching this thread, if only to learn :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jens

Hi,

I did couple of things lately. I want to let u know outcomes,so that may help you to analyze problem.

after mounting original ISO, I booted into UEFI shell. entered “type” command on “bootx64.efi” and “elilo.conf” files, shell gives contents of both files. I did same thing,booted into UEFI shell after mounting temporary ISO(created using original ISO) and entered “type” command on “bootx64.efi” and “elilo.conf” files now it gives error even though md5sum of “bootx64.efi” and “elilo.conf” of temp ISO matches with original one(means files are not corrupted).is there any possibilty of getting corrupt after loaded into RAM…??

Hi

Finally my rescue image booting perfectly.I did changes in MKISOFS command only

mkisofs -r -R -j -T -l -v -cache-inodes -o “dest path” -b “isolinux.bin path” -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -b “efi path” -no-emul-boot [COLOR="#FF0000"]-boot-load-size 18755[/COLOR] “ISO image path”

text which is written in red and bold is what i added.
FYI
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pjones/BootableCDsForBIOSAndUEFI

thanks.

Hi Ningappa,

thank you for sharing the solution!

Regards,
Jens