Update from SLES 10 SP4 to SLES 11 SP3 - "best practise"

Hi,

i want to update some SLES 10 SP4 hosts to SLES 11 SP3. I know it’s a big step, but it is offically supported. I will create clones of the hosts and try the updates using them, so i can’t run in trouble. Is anyone out there who has done this step ? Is there a “best practise” anywhere ?

Thanks for any help.

Bernd

Hi
Have you looked at this document?
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP3/#Update.General.Sequence

Update is only via the bootable media (incl PXE).

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 11 SP3 (x86_64) GNOME 2.28.0 Kernel 3.0.93-0.8-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hi Malcolm,

thanks for the link, but this i knew already. I hoped someone had already done it and could give some tips from his experience, or there would be a “best practise” out there in the web.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

from past experience, it’s potentially as big a step as going to SLES11(“SP0”) - and best practices for that were and are

• plan ahead

• know your system

• run tests (this is you current step :slight_smile: )

• verify closely

What you will have to deal with is highly dependent on which subsystems you use. Major steps are kernel&libraries (so any programs compiled yourself or imported via not version-aware repositories need to be checked against those), but many other parts have significally progressed, too (Samba, openldap etc). If you i.e. run an old DC setup on samba, storing information in LDAP, and having other dependent domain members out there, you can prepare to do a bit of clean-up work after the update.

The following apply for every update, but the more for a major step:

• Be prepared to have some extra free disk space during the update, though I have no numbers for you.

• When having run the update, be sure to check for any RPM-archived config files (saved old configs or new configs that weren’t applied) and migrate the configuration manually.

• Have a backup of the original system. Being able to access individual backed up files without having to restore the complete system is a definite plus.

• Have at hand the phone numbers and/or email addresses of the relevant hot-lines, your boss, the local pizza service and those expecting you for supper: You might need extra help, and it may take longer than you anticipated.

Pretty generic stuff, I know. But it does match the question, even in this regard :wink:

Regards,
Jens

berndgsflinux wrote:
[color=blue]

thanks for the link, but this i knew already. I hoped someone had
already done it and could give some tips from his experience, or there
would be a “best practise” out there in the web.[/color]

See support TID 7012368[1] for necessary steps - they work. I’d suggest
setting up local network installation sources rather than deal with media
as it’s a lot quicker via he network.

HTH.

[1] https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7012368