VMware-Tools OS specific rpm package uninstall

I have recently took over management of our companies VM Servers.

Everything was years out of date, so started with patching up to the latest 5.5 on the hosts and the Server Appliance.

I then upgraded tools on each of the VM’s

And then patched all the VM’s up to date.

It’s been a steep learning curve.

Now i am literally stuck.

I have a Server Appliance running on SUSE 11.2, ideally this would be on a Windows VM from a management point of view but it’s not so i’m trying to work with it.

I have upgraded the patches as mentioned but VM Tools is making me hate life.

From what i can make out it is running an OS specific RPM package (this is all new to me) I tried to run the tar.gz package but i get an error saying i need to uninstall the rpm package first in order to install again an easier to manage tar.gz package.

The article on VMware website doesn’t work because it is saying could be called or similar to following this guide Uninstalling Open VMware Tools included with Linux distributions (1013096) | VMware KB

I do the rpm - qa | grep vm and the list i get back is longer than my arm, now i know i have version 10.0.0.5 by running vm-toolbox-cmd -v which may help narrow it down.

But i can not run the command rpm -e open-vm-tools-gui open-vm-tools vmware-guest-kmp-desktop From the article without knowing my specific file names.

So i thought ok, stick with the RPM and upgrade that, well that just looked even more complicated but i found this script Installing VMware Tools the easy way - OSP - SUSE Blog | SUSE Communities

Sounds perfect but it’s not been updated since 2014 and it’s failing even after updating the file paths.

I have seen articles saying to run rm -r /etc/VM-Tools or similar, didn’t feel comfortable doing that so renamed the folder, still no joy. Guessing there are other components or needed a reboot but didn’t feel taking that any further.

I also saw people saying to run zypper rm -y vmware-tools* which i assume searches and deletes everything vmware-tools related. Again i stopped at the point getting a little out of my comfort zone.

Ideal solution for myself would be to replace the server with a Windows VM but i’m not sure of the process and what that involves. I can follow a guide to setup new but to replace an existing is a different matter.

But short term i would like to update the rpm but preffered option is to remove the rpm and go with the tar.gz because when i do bite the bullet to upgrade from 5.5 or newer tools comes out i will have the same again.

Please help…

p.s. any references to commands may not be entirely accurate as i don’t have them in front of me. just to give an idea of what i was running.

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the SUSE forums.

So you are having trouble updating VMware Tools on this one VM. I am a bit puzzled by the above statement.

A Server Appliance usually implies a pre-packaged application, one that you don’t normally want to mess with. What exactly is this Server Appliance?

You say it is running SUSE 11.2 but that is not the actual name of any specific SUSE Linux version. In case it is relevant, please run this command to determine what version of SUSE Linux you are using and post the results.

cat /etc/*release

Can you please explain what you mean when you say “ideally this would be on a Windows VM”?

Awaiting your response…

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have SUSE Linux Enterpsirse Server 11 (x86_64)
Version = 11
Patchleverl = 2

I am refering to the tools on the Vcenter Server Appliance.

They were installed via an rpm package, when running the latest tar.gz from VMware’s website i get an error saying i need to remove the rpm package first.

Which leaves me with two options:

Update the rpm package which looks really complicated as you need to build it.
Remote the rpm and install the tar.gz package.

When looking at removing the rpm i have found many articles but it’s something i don’t want to just try and see what happens rather than doing it the right way.

On 26/06/17 10:24, ChrisC30A wrote:
[color=blue]

I have SUSE Linux Enterpsirse Server 11 (x86_64)
Version = 11
Patchleverl = 2

I am refering to the tools on the Vcenter Server Appliance.

They were installed via an rpm package, when running the latest tar.gz
from VMware’s website i get an error saying i need to remove the rpm
package first.

Which leaves me with two options:

Update the rpm package which looks really complicated as you need to
build it.
Remote the rpm and install the tar.gz package.

When looking at removing the rpm i have found many articles but it’s
something i don’t want to just try and see what happens rather than
doing it the right way.[/color]

The vCenter Server Appliance is a pre-configured virtual machine
supplied by VMware. Whilst it is based on SLES it is not something a
user/administrator should have to worry about - VMware have instructions
for updating their appliance.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

When I look at my vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) where it shows the installed version of VMware Tools it also states “(Guest Managed)”. That means the VM is running Open VM Tools.

This KB article provides more information:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]VMware support for Open VM Tools (2073803)[/FONT][/COLOR]

In part, it states:
OVT is available with SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP4, 12 and later releases
VMware does not recommend removing OVT redistributed by operating system vendors.

Having said that, in the case of the vCSA, you should be following VMware’s procedures to upgrade to a newer version of the vCSA and not change the components yourself.

The VMware vCenter Server runs on a Windows Server but the VMware vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) was introduced to simplify things.

In some larger installations the VMware vCenter Server may be still required but newer versions of the vCSA can compete very favourably plus it has the added advantage that you don’t have to install, support and license a Windows Server.

I would recommend that you become more familiar with the vCSA and stick with it.

Thanks Guys.

you have been much more helpful than over on VMware forums.

So basically i need to upgrade the OS to Version 4 thus this automatically updates the tools at the same time as it’s part of the OS?

I used the link https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&productid=39497&supRel=272,&deviceCategory=software&details=1&partner=465&releases=272&operatingSystems=170&productNames=15&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=16

It has instructions etc, are you aware of any issues jumping from 11 SP2 skipping 3 and going straight to SP4? or should i go to SP3 before going to SP4?

If compatible should i consider going to Suse Enterprise 12?

thank you again. Much helpful. I’ll be sure to double check i have a snapshot :wink:

Actually i better ask, is Suse Enterprise a paid for Operating system? I took over ownership, it would of all been done legit and above board, i’m still pulling together all service agreements on hardware and software. I have found this https://www.suse.com/products/server/how-to-buy/ by the look of that it is a yearly cost? So i will need to try and find our original licence and terms.

I have looked at the link

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2073803

Towards the bottom under FAQ:

"How do I update OVT?

Updates of OVT are distributed with operating system updates and patches, as well as updates to virtual appliances."

If i follow this guide to update from 2 to 3:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_sle_deployment/data/sec_update_sle11sp2.html

Does this mean it will update OVT as the FAQ mentioned above?

Would i need my licence key to upgrade from SP2 to SP3.

The upgrade guide mentions it needs to be a registered copy of SUSE and gives a command to register but what command do i run to check if it already is? Also is there a command to get the Serial number so i can email support asking for licence to be transferred to my name or at least tell me when it expires as it’s annually.

[QUOTE=ChrisC30A;38566]Would i need my licence key to upgrade from SP2 to SP3.

The upgrade guide mentions it needs to be a registered copy of SUSE and gives a command to register but what command do i run to check if it already is? Also is there a command to get the Serial number so i can email support asking for licence to be transferred to my name or at least tell me when it expires as it’s annually.[/QUOTE]

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is Open Source so there is no need to purchase a license.
[LIST]
[]If you have a Product Support Subscription, you are given a product registration key that is valid for the duration of your subscription.
[
]You use that product registration key to register your system(s).
[]When you register your system, you gain access to repositories that contain patches and updates.
[
]When you use tools provided with SLES they will access those repositories to obtain the required patches and updates.
[/LIST]

There are restrictions which determine what versions you can update from and to. You need to refer to the documentation to determine what is supported.

The SUSE Customer Center has all the details about your registered systems.

[QUOTE=ChrisC30A;38564]So basically i need to upgrade the OS to Version 4 thus this automatically updates the tools at the same time as it’s part of the OS?

I used the link https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&productid=39497&supRel=272,&deviceCategory=software&details=1&partner=465&releases=272&operatingSystems=170&productNames=15&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=16

It has instructions etc, are you aware of any issues jumping from 11 SP2 skipping 3 and going straight to SP4? or should i go to SP3 before going to SP4?

If compatible should i consider going to Suse Enterprise 12?[/QUOTE]

I’m a bit confused about what you’re trying to accomplish. I think you are still talking about the the vCenter Server Appliance, are you not?

The compatibility matrix tells you what products and versions are supported.

[LIST]
[]Your hardware and firmware levels will determine what versions of ESXi are supported.
[
]The version of ESXi you run will determine:
[LIST]
[]What virtual machine OS versions are supported.
[
]What VMware appliance versions are supported, including the vCSA.
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
The vCSA should be viewed as a black box. You shouldn’t change any of the components. If you do, your vCSA will become unsupported and you could seriously impact your VMware system. When an upgrade is needed, follow the VMware vCSA documentation.

[QUOTE=ChrisC30A;38566]I have looked at the link

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2073803

Towards the bottom under FAQ:

"How do I update OVT?

Updates of OVT are distributed with operating system updates and patches, as well as updates to virtual appliances."

If i follow this guide to update from 2 to 3:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_sle_deployment/data/sec_update_sle11sp2.html

Does this mean it will update OVT as the FAQ mentioned above?[/QUOTE]

Newer versions of SLES contain updates to various packages. I do not know if the OVT has changed from SLES11 SP2 to SLES11 SP3. If it has, then upgrading a SLES11 SP2 server to SLES11 SP3 will update the OVT.

KB Article 2073803 provides information about the benefits, contents, availability and VMware support for Open VM Tools. [B]It does not tell you to update the OVT in your vCSA!

[/B]OVT is included with several Linux distributions. If you create your own virtual machines using any of these Linux distributions, OVT is included and you therefore do not need to install VMware tools.

In case you have your own SLES virtual machines, be aware the SUSE no longer supports SLES11 SP2 or SLES11 SP3. You should be using SLES11 SP4 or SLES12. This does not apply to your VMware vCSA which is supported by VMware and not SUSE.