WorkStation extension

I have installed SELD 15.2 - this should be a complete Desktop. However, there is a “tack” in the selection area for WorkStation Extension, that need a separate licens. But do I need that at all - or what is the difference with and without WE?

@HANS-CHRISTOPH the workstation extension is only needed for SLES if SLES users require all the desktop features, normally a server is just that :wink: For SLED it is part of the install.

You should see something like the following from SUSEConnect (?);

SUSEConnect --list-extensions
AVAILABLE EXTENSIONS AND MODULES

Basesystem Module 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
    Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p sle-module-basesystem/15.2/x86_64

Desktop Applications Module 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
        Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p sle-module-desktop-applications/15.2/x86_64

Development Tools Module 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
            Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p sle-module-development-tools/15.2/x86_64

SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
            Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p sle-we/15.2/x86_64

Python 2 Module 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
        Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p sle-module-python2/15.2/x86_64

SUSE Cloud Application Platform Tools Module 15 SP2 x86_64
        Activate with: SUSEConnect -p sle-module-cap-tools/15.2/x86_64

SUSE Package Hub 15 SP2 x86_64 (Activated)
        Deactivate with: SUSEConnect -d -p PackageHub/15.2/x86_64

Ok.
When I install the PC, chose the type of installtion, e.g. SLES or SLED or so. I chosed SLED.
When I activate the installation, I have to chose the modules. WE is one of them. This makes no sense. Maybe should SUSE correct the failure?

@HANS-CHRISTOPH I normally just select the desktop and let it do it’s thing, never checked any boxes. Is this the part where you add additional repositories? If so I ignore that.

You should check your SLES or SLED installation after each new fresh installation or after each service pack installation with this commands:

SUSEConnect --list-extensions

SUSEConnect --status-text

zypper ls

zypper lr -P

zypper packages --orphaned

zypper lifecycle

rpm --verify --all

rpmconfigcheck

See man pages for more information.

I can see. But what do I do with the results? I have no overview what packages I need or not. :slight_smile: