XEN - cannot connect remotely to VM via Virt Machine Mgr

I have moved from KVM on my server (SLES 11 SP3) to running XEN as the hypervisor and have migrated one of my VMs to running on XEN. If I am sitting at the server, I can use the Virtual Machine Manager to connect to the VM graphical console (i.e., see the VM desktop) with no problems. However, if I am at a remote workstation (SLED 11 SP3) and running Virtual Machine Manager, I can connect to the VM (I see the virtual hardware details screen), but the graphical console comes back with the error “viewer connection to hypervisor host got refused or disconnected”. I did not have this issue with KVM… The connection between the server and my workstation in the Virtual Machine Manager is “xen+tcp”.

Any ideas?

TIA
-L

Hi Larry,

If I am sitting at the server, I can use the Virtual Machine Manager to connect to the VM graphical console […]
if I am at a remote workstation […] the graphical console comes back with the error “viewer connection to hypervisor host got refused or disconnected”

please have a look at “[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp[/COLOR]”, parameter “[/FONT][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vnc-listen[/COLOR]”. It is probably set to “/FONT”, hence you can only connect via VNC from the local machine.

If you change that to [FONT=monospace]“/FONT”, you’ll be able to connect from any IP address.

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;28933]Hi Larry,

If I am sitting at the server, I can use the Virtual Machine Manager to connect to the VM graphical console […]
if I am at a remote workstation […] the graphical console comes back with the error “viewer connection to hypervisor host got refused or disconnected”

please have a look at “[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp[/COLOR]”, parameter “[/FONT][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vnc-listen[/COLOR]”. It is probably set to “/FONT”, hence you can only connect via VNC from the local machine.

If you change that to [FONT=monospace]“/FONT”, you’ll be able to connect from any IP address.

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

The vnc-listen was set to ‘0.0.0.0’ and I could connect. My problem is when I try to use the graphical interface - I get the viewer connection problem and cannot see the VM’s desktop.

-L

Hi Larry,

[QUOTE=LarryResch;28975]The vnc-listen was set to ‘0.0.0.0’ and I could connect. My problem is when I try to use the graphical interface - I get the viewer connection problem and cannot see the VM’s desktop.

-L[/QUOTE]

it seems I mis-understood you - what graphical interface are you referring to?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Larry,

AFAIR, virt-manager uses VNC to display the VM console. Could you please try to connect to the VM with i.e. vncviewer from the client machine? This should validate the remote VNC access is actually operational.

Regards,
Jens

[SOLVED]
Yes, virt-manager uses VNC - I just got it working.

For the VM, the “Display VNC” hardware showed an address of 127.0.0.1 even though the vnc-listen ‘0.0.0.0’ was set on the server. You cannot edit the VM address so I deleted and recreated the “Display VNC” with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and now it works.

Thanks for all the help
-L