xfs_growfs -d fail to extend file system

Hi

I have a virtual machine on Xen with 60 GB xvdc device, with 60GB XFS xvdc1 partition on it. I stopped the virtual machine, extended the logical volume on Xen then restarted. Now on the virtual machine I see correctly the new dimension of xvdc device (100 GB), but I cannot extend the XFS partion xvdc1 with the commanad xfs_growfs -d /srv (xvdc1 is mounted on /srv).

I miss something?

Thank you

Marco

Hi Marco,

[QUOTE=mvisconti;38153]Hi

I have a virtual machine on Xen with 60 GB xvdc device, with 60GB XFS xvdc1 partition on it. I stopped the virtual machine, extended the logical volume on Xen then restarted. Now on the virtual machine I see correctly the new dimension of xvdc device (100 GB), but I cannot extend the XFS partion xvdc1 with the commanad xfs_growfs -d /srv (xvdc1 is mounted on /srv).

I miss something?[/QUOTE]

[grin]Probably you’ll have to install xfsprogs first.[/grin]

Well, ok, back to “serious”: You did not tell us anything about how this fails - so the source of your trouble may range from typo on program invocation to serious problems. Would you mind sharing both the command line when calling xfs_grow and the resulting output / error messages / …? Simply cut&paste the lines and wrap them in code tags.

Regards,
J

Sorry, you’re right! This is the command and the output:

xfs_growfs -d /srv meta-data=/dev/xvdc1 isize=512 agcount=4, agsize=3932096 blks = sectsz=512 attr=2, projid32bit=1 = crc=1 finobt=0 spinodes=0 data = bsize=4096 blocks=15728384, imaxpct=25 = sunit=0 swidth=0 blks naming =version 2 bsize=4096 ascii-ci=0 ftype=1 log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=7679, version=2 = sectsz=512 sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0 data size unchanged, skipping

I solved the problem, before extend the filesystem, I need to extend the partition with fdisk.

As I said, I missed something …

Thank you for your reply.

Marco

Hi Marco,

thanks for reporting back. Re-reading your original message, that step was clearly missing, it should have caught my eye… but luckily you noticed yourself :slight_smile:

Regards,
J