Adding printertray 7 under SLES 11

Hi guys,

I’ve got a HP printer P4015 installed. It sees tray 1-6 except for tray 7. Already done a paper path test trough tray 7 on the printer itself, and it goes well.

Do I have to edit the ppd file to make tray 7 work? If so, any ideas on how?

Thx in advance.

Hi miez,

[QUOTE=miez;17111]Hi guys,

I’ve got a HP printer P4015 installed. It sees tray 1-6 except for tray 7. Already done a paper path test trough tray 7 on the printer itself, and it goes well.

Do I have to edit the ppd file to make tray 7 work? If so, any ideas on how?

Thx in advance.[/QUOTE]

how did you “install” the printer - and which ppd is it using? You’re right that the Linux printer subsystem usually relies on the printer definitions included in the according PPD, so it might be just a question of locating the proper (updated?) PPD for the printer in question.

Does the file mentioned in http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/Where-can-I-find-PPD-file-used-in-CUPS-setup-for-HP-Laserjet/td-p/1143464 (first answer) help?

Regards,
Jens

I’ve installed it via Cups and the driver that is build in (HPLIP). I looked at the link you provided, but it seems that Suse 11 is not supported. Any thoughts on manually editing the ppd file.

Thx for your reply btw.

Hi miez,

I looked at the link you provided, but it seems that Suse 11 is not supported. Any thoughts on manually editing the ppd file.

The link points to a PPD file for the P4015 - I don’t see where PPDs are (Linux-)version-specific?

Interestingly, when I looked at that ppd, it does explicitly state it’s for the HP P4015, but does only name bin 1 to 6, not 7. So perhaps it is the same PPD as you already have?

Have you tried contacting HP, who should have a matching PPD for the printer?

Regards,
Jens

minor correction: I meant “tray 1 to 6, not 7”.

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;17118]Hi miez,

I looked at the link you provided, but it seems that Suse 11 is not supported. Any thoughts on manually editing the ppd file.

The link points to a PPD file for the P4015 - I don’t see where PPDs are (Linux-)version-specific?

Interestingly, when I looked at that ppd, it does explicitly state it’s for the HP P4015, but does only name bin 1 to 6, not 7. So perhaps it is the same PPD as you already have?

Have you tried contacting HP, who should have a matching PPD for the printer?

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

I’ve already contacted HP on the forum, but no luck there. They told me I should do a paper path test through tray 7, and see if it works. I did that and it works, so nothing is wrong with the settings on the printer itself.
I’ll try and compare the ppd version I already have, and the one provided in the link.

If you have any more ideas, it’ll be welcome:)

Hi miez,

I’ve had my share of luck “hacking” PPDs for other printers - it mostly takes the PPD of a similar printer, an open (programmer’s) mind, the printer in question and a stash of paper you can run through it many times… so I’d suggest that you take you favorite text editor and i.e. compare the various sections covering tray 3 to 6 and try to spot the differences: Then you might succeed in adding you own section for tray 7. It may, on the other hand, take a programmer’s manual to the printer:

*% ====================================== *% Media Handling Features (Paper Sources) *% ====================================== *OpenUI *InputSlot/Paper Source: PickOne *OrderDependency: 20 AnySetup *InputSlot *DefaultInputSlot: Auto *InputSlot Auto/Automatic: "<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 7>> setpagedevice" *InputSlot Tray1/Tray 1: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 3>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray2/Tray 2: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 0>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray3/Tray 3: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 1>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray4/Tray 4: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 4>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray5/Tray 5: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 38>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray6/Tray 6: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 39>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot Tray1_Man/Tray 1 (Manual): " <</MediaPosition 3 /ManualFeed true>> setpagedevice" *End *InputSlot EnvelopeFeeder/Envelope Feeder: " <</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 2>> setpagedevice" *End
Obviously, the “MediaPosition” value determines which output device to use - it now is your turn to test if “40” would be tray 7. Most easiest would be to select one tray you don’t currently need and substitute the value in the PPD file - so that if you i.e. select “tray 5” in the user interface, actually MediaPosition 40 is sent to the printer. Once you figured out the correct value, you can either sacrifice that original tray option or hack your way around the PPD to add tray 7 (I’d say, search for tray6 and add/adjust accordingly).

So no real answer in terms of “change this, change that - done”, but simple encouragement to go ahead and play with what you have :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;17127]Hi miez,

I’ve had my share of luck “hacking” PPDs for other printers - it mostly takes the PPD of a similar printer, an open (programmer’s) mind, the printer in question and a stash of paper you can run through it many times… so I’d suggest that you take you favorite text editor and i.e. compare the various sections covering tray 3 to 6 and try to spot the differences: Then you might succeed in adding you own section for tray 7. It may, on the other hand, take a programmer’s manual to the printer:

[/CODE]*% ======================================
*% Media Handling Features (Paper Sources)
*% ======================================
*OpenUI *InputSlot/Paper Source: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 20 AnySetup *InputSlot
*DefaultInputSlot: Auto
*InputSlot Auto/Automatic: “<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 7>> setpagedevice”
*InputSlot Tray1/Tray 1: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 3>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray2/Tray 2: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 0>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray3/Tray 3: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 1>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray4/Tray 4: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 4>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray5/Tray 5: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 38>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray6/Tray 6: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 39>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot Tray1_Man/Tray 1 (Manual): "
<</MediaPosition 3 /ManualFeed true>> setpagedevice"
*End
*InputSlot EnvelopeFeeder/Envelope Feeder: "
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 2>> setpagedevice"
*End[/CODE]
Obviously, the “MediaPosition” value determines which output device to use - it now is your turn to test if “40” would be tray 7. Most easiest would be to select one tray you don’t currently need and substitute the value in the PPD file - so that if you i.e. select “tray 5” in the user interface, actually MediaPosition 40 is sent to the printer. Once you figured out the correct value, you can either sacrifice that original tray option or hack your way around the PPD to add tray 7 (I’d say, search for tray6 and add/adjust accordingly).

So no real answer in terms of “change this, change that - done”, but simple encouragement to go ahead and play with what you have :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Ok thx for your reply! I’ll try and check it out. I’ll let you know!