ASSISTANCE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I’m a new user in the Linux community, and was really intrigued by the popularity of Suse- Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.
I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1; AMD Athlon II x2 255 Processor 3.10 GHz; Installed RAM-4GB; 64 bit OS, and wanted to have a dual boot machine.
I downloaded the .ISO DVD1-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64, and am also downloading the .ISO DVD2-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64.
When extracting the .ISO DVD1; which shows to be 2.0 GB. Is this correct? The .ISODVD2 is 8.0 GB.
Am not sure if I need both. But I was reading through Novell’s Knowledgebase: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3882364;
and came across the following:
The Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows supports the Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012 32-bit and x64 operating systems.
The current version is Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows.
and…@
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3882364: the following is mentioned.

Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows is supported on the following platforms:

Windows 8 (x86 or x64) excluding Windows 8 RT
Windows Server 2012 (x64)
Windows 7 (x86 or x64) (Ultimate Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Professional Edition)
Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) (Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition)
The Novell Client for Windows is also supported in Desktop Virtualization and Terminalserver environments.
Non-Supported Windows Platforms

Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows might run but is not supported on Windows Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium editions.

On Windows Server platforms, Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows might run but is not supported on Datacenter Edition, Web Server Edition, or on Server Core installations using any edition.

Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows will not install or run on Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 , Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000.

Does this mean that my current OS; being Windows 7 Home Premium does not support such?
Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Daniel Espinosa

On 09/08/2013 05:55 PM, dre24 7 wrote:[color=blue]

I’m a new user in the Linux community, and was really intrigued by the
popularity of Suse- Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.[/color]

SUSE is great; welcome to the community.
[color=blue]

I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1; AMD Athlon II x2 255
Processor 3.10 GHz; Installed RAM-4GB; 64 bit OS, and wanted to have a
dual boot machine.
I downloaded the .ISO DVD1-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64, and am also downloading
the .ISO DVD2-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64.
When extracting the .ISO DVD1; which shows to be 2.0 GB. Is this
correct? The .ISODVD2 is 8.0 GB.[/color]

You only need the first DVD unless you want source code, which you likely
do not currently. If your system is showing a size less than the real
size it is often because the browser does not support large files. Use
another browser, like Firefox or Chromium, and it should show, and
download, the full size.
[color=blue]

Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows is supported on the following
platforms:

Windows 8 (x86 or x64) excluding Windows 8 RT
Windows Server 2012 (x64)
Windows 7 (x86 or x64) (Ultimate Edition, Enterprise Edition, or
Professional Edition)
Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) (Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition)
The Novell Client for Windows is also supported in Desktop
Virtualization and Terminalserver environments.
Non-Supported Windows Platforms

Novell Client 2 SP3 for Windows might run but is not supported on
Windows Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium editions.
Does this mean that my current OS; being Windows 7 Home Premium does not
support such?[/color]

Yes, not supported it would seem, but you should check on
forums.novell.com in the OES forums dedicated to the Novell Client if you
need more confirmation. Chances are it’ll work, but Novell does not write
software for home users like they do for enterprise users, so home
versions of windows are not often supported, though in reality the
differences are pretty small, especially where the Novell Client is
concerned. Before worrying about it, why do you want to install the
client? Does it do something you need to do?

Good luck.

Thank you ab for the quick reply. I’m not sure if I need the client at all.
Like I stated before; I’m new to Linux; and basically wanted to try Suse Linux, and have it run along with my Windows 7.
I created a new partition of 50 GB to hold the OS. Even though it’s the same physical hard drive, only difference virtually speaking.
So, I believe I can make the installation only using the .ISO DVD1-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64. The second one is not necessarily needed.
Thank you for clarifying things for me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

After a long day of finally finishing downloading the .ISO DVD1-SLED_11_SP3 x86_64, it was too large to burn on a single layer DVD. I went ahead and extracted these files onto a clean formatted 8GB USB drive. When I proceeded to boot from the same; I got the error that BOOTMGR was missing. I don’t get what I’m doing wrong. Can anyone help PLEASE.

Hi Daniel,

that DVD ISO contains a bootable system - just “dd” the ISO to your USB drive and you should be ready to go.

Regards,
Jens

I am sorry to say that I do not see that “dd” after extracting the .ISO file. :mad:
This can be so frustrating. I’m about to throw the towel here.

Hi Daniel,

[QUOTE=dre24_7;15803]I am sorry to say that I do not see that “dd” after extracting the .ISO file. :mad:
This can be so frustrating. I’m about to throw the towel here.[/QUOTE]

“dd” is a command that should already be installed on your system (part of coreutils RPM). It’s basically a “binary copy” from one “file” to another… invocation does look a bit strange at first, but one gets used to it:

dd if=mydownloadeddvd.iso of=/dev/deviceForUsbStick bs=4k

and “man dd” will give you the full picture. “bs=4k” stands for “copy in chunks of 4 kilobytes” and dd will work without it, but using bs=512… which usually is much slower because of the higher number of operations (I even use bs=1M when I know that it fits).

Regards,
Jens

That statement puzzles me because SLED-11-SP3-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso is 4568645632 bytes and that should fit on a single layer DVD. I have successfully burnt it to a single layer DVD.

Hi again,

I just noticed… you needn’t extract anything from the ISO file. Think of it as an “image” of the DVD, that you’ll be copying to the DVD, oops, make that “USB drive” :wink:

I’m assuming you’re doing this on a Linux box - if you’re running some MS Windows system, have a look here: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick#Windows_Instructions

Regards,
Jens

Yes; I’m running Windows 7; and I can’t wait to have Linux installed once in for all. I tried burning the files from the .ISO image which I extracted with WinRar. I tried burning it to a DVD, and after unsuccessful tries, I opted to use a USB drive and make it bootable from there. Funny, at this point I’m so confused that I don’t even know which way to go. I have MagicISO; but from what I understand I cannot boot having Windows running. It must be installed on a Drive of its own.

You don’t extract the .iso file, you tell your burning software to make a DVD using the .iso file. You mentioned you’re using MagicISO, I found this on the MagicISO website which explains how to make a DVD from a .iso file http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burniso.htm

Yes; it seems I have MagicDisc and it won’t let me burn files over 300 MB. It’s a free trial version. I will download the full one from some torrent site. I shall be back in a few. ImageWriter created my USB boot disc, and after making the necessary changes in the BIOS for the booting sequence; I got an error:
“Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key”. At this point I’m not sure of anything. I don’t even think I have the right files downloaded, or even the correct .ISO for that matter. I’m trying multiple paths; and so far I’ve been trying for almost 2 days now.

O.K.- At this time I’m burning the .ISO image using a downloaded version of MagicISO; and it’s at almost 85% complete. If when I try to boot up from my DVD, this does not work, I can confidently say that there was something wrong with the download file from the Novell website link. My Antivirus did encounter some suspicious virus along the way, and I’m not sure where I can download SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE DESKTOP 11 from. I’m skeptical at this point, and might give it all up after all this trouble I’ve made for myself. Be back in a few minutes to tell you how things went for me. Wish me good luck. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re not sure where to download SLED from, where did you get the iso you’re attempting to burn?

You can download SLED along with getting a 60 day trial code from the SUSE website.
https://www.suse.com/products/desktop/
It is easy to verify the download using the md5sums provided on the download page. If you downloaded the iso from anywhere else, delete it and download from the official source.

You mentioned earlier you are using Windows 7. That has iso burning capability built in. No need to get dubious versions of burning software from dubious sources.

I’m Happy to announce that this last effort was successful. IT WOOOOOOOOOORKKKKSSSSS !!!WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! THANK YOU !!! Talk to you soon; maybe on another thread.

@dre24_7

Glad to hear that! Another way to burn an ISO to a USB is to use unetbootin (a quick google search will direct you there, and they have directions); also, last time I set Windows up, I used Alex Feinman’s ISO Recorder (see: http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm ). After you install it and Right-Click on an ISO file, you will see an option to burn it from the Windows File Explorer; it does not get much easier than that on Windows! :slight_smile: