boot problem

Help i’m newbie

Some detail might be useful. All you’ve posted is a screenshot that doesn’t contain any errors. What exactly is the problem? Is it that the boot doesn’t progress beyond what’s shown in the screenshot?

Is this a new installation or an existing installation that has stopped working?

If it’s a new installation:

• Is there any particular reason you’re using SP2 rather than the current version, SP3?

• How did you set things up during the install process, e.g. disk partitions? Or did you accept all the default options?

• What is the hardware? Given the screenshot I’m guessing it’s a virtual machine, is that right? If so, what virtualisation is being used?

• Have you tried re-installing?

If it’s an existing installation that’s stopped working:

• Was anything significant done to the machine prior to this issue occurring, e.g. installation of updates, configuration changes?

• Can you boot the machine from a CD?

Thanks for reply

it’s a new installation and this screen appears after boot screen ( doesnt matter fail safe selected)

-there is no reason for installing sp2 raather than sp3
-50 GB for root and 16 GB for swap others are default
-Hardware is sun fire x4250 2 xeon 5460 processor 32 GB ram
-And i tried reinstalling

[QUOTE=mikewillis;21658]Some detail might be useful. All you’ve posted is a screenshot that doesn’t contain any errors. What exactly is the problem? Is it that the boot doesn’t progress beyond what’s shown in the screenshot?

Is this a new installation or an existing installation that has stopped working?

If it’s a new installation:

• Is there any particular reason you’re using SP2 rather than the current version, SP3?

• How did you set things up during the install process, e.g. disk partitions? Or did you accept all the default options?

• What is the hardware? Given the screenshot I’m guessing it’s a virtual machine, is that right? If so, what virtualisation is being used?

• Have you tried re-installing?

If it’s an existing installation that’s stopped working:

• Was anything significant done to the machine prior to this issue occurring, e.g. installation of updates, configuration changes?

• Can you boot the machine from a CD?[/QUOTE]

I recommend you try again with SP3 then. Why put effort in to trying to work out why a version for which general support has ended doesn’t work when you can use a current version?

Various variants of Sun Fire x4250 are certified for use with SLES 11. No mention of SLES 11 SP3 but then all the certifications pre-date SP3 and if hardware’s supported in SLES 11 then it should be supported in SLES 11 SP3.
https://www.suse.com/yessearch/SResults.jsp?bulletinNumber=&keywords=Sun+Fire+X4250+&searchSelect=1&productCategory=&companyKey.type=companyName&companyKey.max=25&companyKey.format=Select&companyKey.original=&companyKey.index=2&input1=01-01-2001