CAD software

some users might need CAD software. I have used CAD for 30 years and know most of the know programs as Inventor, Solid Works, Creo…
Since they all are very expensive and do not run on Linux, I have intensely searched for useful software

FreeCad,

it seems to be popular software, but is very old fashion, has very limited functions and limited useful.

BricsCAD
BricsCad is basically AutoCad. It is a proper 2D software. On 3D level it is on the level as Mechanical desktop 20 years ago. You can nicely draw, but edit functions are not really there. The 3D part is limited useful. Since nobody really draw 2D anymore…

Hi
There is FreeCAD and LibreCAD
https://packagehub.suse.com/packages/freecad/
https://packagehub.suse.com/packages/librecad/

Thanks Malcolm. LibreCad is a nice program for homeuse, but 2D only.
FreeCad is mainly 3D, but with very less function - like others had 20 years ago.
I just try VariCAD as well.

Basic for evaluation are professional software for engineering CAD as Inventor or Solid Works. 2D CAD is not longer of interest since more and more companies do not supply any 2D drawings, but 3D models only. Those models contain all data needed as well as purchase specifications, quality requirements via PDM link. More and more tooling machines can read these models directly and simulate manufacturing.
3D capability started 30 years ago.
In the beginning, software was scientific where coordinates, measures and coding were needed.
Today these Software is focused on engineers needs. It is a tool - means the aim is not software but the product made with software. It works as an engineer think and as needed to get a proper design as fast as possible.
All these software works according similar logic and is easy to use - if you now one of them.

The 2 programs I have tested are VariCAD and BricsCAD. FreeCad I tested as well but is simply too far behind development on all levels. All other programs are mainly 2D focused.
Both Varicad and BricsCad have a technology standard as AUTOdesk had 20 years ago.
3D functionality is on a low level. Generate and especially edit models is not state of the art.
Varicad is a little bit stronger on 3D, but has developed own logic that make use difficult. Further it needs a scientific approach with cordinates and data.
Bricscad works more like AutoCad and is easier to use. However, edit 3D models is not easy. I would prefer BricsCAD.

In general: These software might be fine for private or rarely use. For professional use, working with these software is too slow compared to what expected today.
Advatage is the price. A licens cost segnificant less that for e.g. Inventor.

Hello,

whats about the webapp from autodesk:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-web-app/overview?plc=ACDIST&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1

with kind regards

mj

Well, it should be mentioned here - OpenSCAD is free software, it is lightweight and flexible tool. QCAD might be your choice too (it is open source and powerful software, but I am not sure if it is free). OnShape is a cloud-based CAD solution. But personally I am still a SolidWorks fan and I haven’t found any software that can compete with it yet (because of its compatibility with so many 3D scanning and modeling tools like Artec Studio etc). It’s only possible to run with a virtual machine.