CD-ROM couldn't be mounted

I keep getting this message that the cd-rom couldn’t be mounted. I have burned the SLES 11 SP1 ISO into a DVD and also via USB (creating bootable using unetbooting, Universal USB and YUMI). Everything i tried didnt work.

Im new using linux

Hi guilhermedimarchi,

what have you done to mount (i.e. what did you type on the command line) and what were the resulting errors?

Have you compared the checksums (i.e. “md5sum” ) both of the downloaded file and the resulting media (DVD, USB)?

Since SLES11SP1 cannot be downloaded from SUSE, I assume you had the file available already. Else check the source where you got the ISO from to see if “they” provide a checksum.

If the checksums match, we can guide you through mounting.

Regards,
Jens

i downloaded from a link suse suport center has given me. I have checked all checksums and everything is ok.
I tried with SLES 12 and got the same error. CD-ROM couldn’t be mounted.

This is the link to download SLES 11 SP1. I specifically need this one.
https://download.novell.com/protected/Summary.jsp?buildid=GafTuvg_ldk~

Hi guilhermedimarchi,

i downloaded from a link suse suport center has given me. I have checked all checksums and everything is ok.

that’s a good start.

CD-ROM couldn’t be mounted.

Since the checksums verify ok, I’ll assume you’re using a DVD, not a CDROM - You’ll have a hard time fitting those 2.8 GB on a CDROM and still get a properly verifying checksum :smiley:

You have not said yet how you’re mounting - so in case this was via GUI, please go to a command line and do it manually, so that we can get more details.

Being at the command line, as user root, issue the command “mount /dev/sr0 /mnt” to try to mount the DVD. If you’re trying to mount the USB stick, replace that with the actual device used by the stick (see “lsscsi” for a list of currently active devices, you should be able to identify the proper one there).

If this succeeds, the media is ok. If it fails, please issue “dmesg|tail -30” and give us a c&p of both commands and their resulting messages (please surround the pasted text with CODE tags, i.e. by marking the pasted text in the forum entry field and pressing the “#” button of the forum editor).

To release the mount, issue “umount /mnt” at your convenience.

Regards,
Jens