Create partitions plan fails

Hi all,

My apologies in advance for maybe lacking some information. I’m new to SLES and it’s products.

I am testing Suse Cloud 6 on SLES 12 SP1 but I hit a problem.

I have some old hardware: HP DL380 G4 and DL385 G5. First is could not find a local disk to install on so I added the following options to the kernel at boot so it finds the disks:

[FONT=Courier New]cciss.cciss_allow_hpsa=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1
[/FONT]
After that the installation continues but at some point is says “Create partitions plan…” and I get the following error message:

[FONT=Courier New]Error
device ‘/dev/…/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.1/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sr0’ not foudn by storage backend[/FONT]

I’m a bit confused by this error message because in a normal situation sr0 is the cdrom/dvd player. So I tried to disconnect the cable but the error stills happen.

Does somebody knows what’s wrong?

pleasy try to click the “forget” button for the node, after disconnecting the CD-ROM drive.
There is some boot-device detection happening in the discovery phase
and my guess is that this one went wrong and thought, the CD-ROM would be a good place for the root partition
which cannot work.

Already did that a couple of times and that didn’t work.

But your reply did make me think of something else. When the system is boot via PXE for the first time it gets a different image for discovering the system. I saw in Crowbar that there we no disks available. So I had to add cciss.cciss_allow_hpsa=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 also to the discover part within the raw provisioner barclamp.

[FONT=Courier New] “discovery”: {
“append”: “cciss.cciss_allow_hpsa=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1”
},[/FONT]

That did the trick!

Some extra info:

The information that is collected the first time the machine boots with the discover image is used for selecting the disk to install on instead during the installation.
Based on that information the hard drive is selected for installation but if none is found it will not install.