Disabling distribution upgrade notification

Is it possible?
I’ve locked ‘sledsp2-sled-release’ product with zypper, but update applet still shows me red tray icon.

I suspect what’s ‘behind’ the icon merely looks to see if the update is available. If you want to get rid of the icon you could remove gnome-packagekit, which is what provides it. Or you could remove the file /usr/share/gnome/autostart/gpk-update-icon.desktop or alter it’s Exec value to /dev/null. (Since there is something in /usr/share/gnome/autostart I expected to find it listed in Control Centre - > Startup Applications where it could just be un-ticked so it doesn’t run when you log in, but I can’t see it listed there. Check anyway because it’s the simplest option.)

Do you realise that SP1 will go end of life soon? Usually it’s 6 months after the release of the next service pack update, which puts SP1 going end of life around the end of this month. So if you care about having a system that’s supported by the vendor, which includes getting updates, you will need to update to SP2 soon.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;6021]I suspect what’s ‘behind’ the icon merely looks to see if the update is available. If you want to get rid of the icon you could remove gnome-packagekit, which is what provides it. Or you could remove the file /usr/share/gnome/autostart/gpk-update-icon.desktop or alter it’s Exec value to /dev/null. (Since there is something in /usr/share/gnome/autostart I expected to find it listed in Control Centre - > Startup Applications where it could just be un-ticked so it doesn’t run when you log in, but I can’t see it listed there. Check anyway because it’s the simplest option.)[/QUOTE]Thank you for your reply.
But as I understand, if I’ll purge PackageKit I will lose ability to install ANY updates using update applet. Is there way to disable distribution updates only?

I’ve already tried to update my system to SP2. Most packages were updated, but the update wasn’t fully completed due to problem with dependencies. My kernel (2.6.32.59-0.7-pae) can’t be updated to 3.0 because I have installed HP intel video modules from their site and ath3k-kmp-pae from SUSE repos. How can I update my system to SP2 with saving old kernel version?

True, removing gnome-packagekit is a bit of a sledgehammer approach, but once SP1 goes end of life there won’t be any updates for you to install anyway. Also you could still use zypper and YaST for package management.

[QUOTE=BMXit;6024]
I’ve already tried to update my system to SP2. Most packages were updated, but the update wasn’t fully completed due to problem with dependencies. My kernel (2.6.32.59-0.7-pae) can’t be updated to 3.0 because I have installed HP intel video modules from their site and ath3k-kmp-pae from SUSE repos. How can I update my system to SP2 with saving old kernel version?[/QUOTE]

You can’t update to SP2 and keep 2.6 kernel. The newer kernel is really one of the big features of SP2.

There’s a thread on here about updating HP machines. Really you need to talk to HP about it. Do you know if those Intel drivers are actually needed for SP2? Newer kernel means support for newer hardware. E.g. SP1 didn’t support Sandybridge video chip so third party module was required, but SP2 includes support for those chip sets.

I have SP2 repos enabled too, so I can receive updates for most packages (except kernel and some packages missing in SP2 repos) using zypper and YaST. The problem is in the PackageKit only, so I disabled it by renaming .desktop file as you’re advised.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;6026]You can’t update to SP2 and keep 2.6 kernel. The newer kernel is really one of the big features of SP2.

There’s a thread on here about updating HP machines. Really you need to talk to HP about it. Do you know if those Intel drivers are actually needed for SP2? Newer kernel means support for newer hardware. E.g. SP1 didn’t support Sandybridge video chip so third party module was required, but SP2 includes support for those chip sets.[/QUOTE]
I know that 3.x kernels supports Sandybridge graphics out of the box, but I also know that they have problems with power management which have been fixed only in 3.4 kernel, so I prefer to stay on 2.6.32 kernel while it’s supported.