fault tolerant server on suse ent?

Hi,

How would you go go about setting up a fault tolerant suse file server? Id like to mirror the edirectory and the primary shares to another server. Is there a suse equivalent method of widows server active directory replication and distributed file system?

Thanks

Hi at=mic,

How would you go go about setting up a fault tolerant suse file server? Id like to mirror the edirectory and the primary shares to another server. Is there a suse equivalent method of widows server active directory replication and distributed file system?

while there are SLES ways to do such things, your question seems to target Novell eDirectory - there are dedicated Novell forums, where the options included in i.e. OES are better discussed than in the “pure” SLES forums. https://forums.novell.com/forumdisplay.php/426-Open-Enterprise-Server comes to mind, if you’re actually running some version of OES.

Or have I mis-interpreted your question?

Regards,
Jens

Currently running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3.

what i meant by edirectory is the user accounts, etc. in windows this stuff is the active directory. dont even know if its called the edirectory. sry to confuse you.

Hi at0mic,

[QUOTE=at0mic;19977]Currently running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3.

what i meant by edirectory is the user accounts, etc. in windows this stuff is the active directory. dont even know if its called the edirectory. sry to confuse you.[/QUOTE]

ah, I see. “eDirectory” is, for what I know, a Novell product :slight_smile:

User accounts can be stored in a variety of ways in SLES environments. Per default those are plain text files in the local file system (most importantly /etc/passwd and /etc/group, but there are companion files like /etc/shadow, policy definition files etc). Creating redundancy at that level is definitely not recommended - you’d rather use openldap to create a directory service and store your account information there (which would work similar to AD, but less complex, in my eyes).

When you’re talking about shares, you’re talking about SaMBa? SaMBa can store it’s SAM database in (open)ldap, too, even directly interwoven with the Unix accounts. Very handy to administer, at least at our site.

Setting up redundant LDAP servers isn’t much trouble, those can even run simultaneously on two servers.

Setting up redundant shares will be more of a hassle - it starts with storing the actual share contents in a way that it’s available even when the currently active node goes down. You might use some shared storage back-end, or create a replication between servers. Depending on your setup, a number of follow-up measures will have to be made to i.e. make sure unique services are only active on one node at a time.

But let us start with a much more basic issue: SLES10SP3 is out of support, since ages. I highly recommend upgrading to something more current, i.e. SLES11SP3. If you have had continous maintanenace on those system(s), you also should contact you SUSE representative to check what licensing options for HAE (the “high availability extension” of SLES) are available to you.

This may become a lengthy discussion, let’s simply start it and work our way up to a solution :wink:

Regards,
Jens

On 20/03/2014 14:44, jmozdzen wrote:
[color=blue]

ah, I see. “eDirectory” is, for what I know, a Novell product[/color]

Given a slightly later thread in the Novell OES product forums @
https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/475606 this may well be an OES
server since both eDirectory (written as “edirectory”) and NSS were
referenced.

Until we know for sure it’s hard to answer the question.

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.