having sls files executed on clinet registration

I am confused. I have only been using suse manager for a few months. I am trying to configure auto-configuration on client registration. I have configured several configuration channels with sls file and the sls files are located here - /srv/susemanager/salt/manager_org_1/*.sls

I added the configuration channels to the activation key and registered a client and the config scripts were not executed. I then checked the box - Deploy configuration files to systems on registration. I then re-registered the client but again the config files were not executed. I then moved the sls files under /srv/salt and configured the top.sls files. I re-registered the client and this time the client was configured. So I am confused. What is the point of configuring the configuration channels in the first place when they don’t go in the “highstate” directory? I can’t find any manual that is clear about how this works.

[QUOTE=julianrogan;58765]I am confused. I have only been using suse manager for a few months. I am trying to configure auto-configuration on client registration. I have configured several configuration channels with sls file and the sls files are located here - /srv/susemanager/salt/manager_org_1/*.sls

I added the configuration channels to the activation key and registered a client and the config scripts were not executed. I then checked the box - Deploy configuration files to systems on registration. I then re-registered the client but again the config files were not executed. I then moved the sls files under /srv/salt and configured the top.sls files. I re-registered the client and this time the client was configured. So I am confused. What is the point of configuring the configuration channels in the first place when they don’t go in the “highstate” directory? I can’t find any manual that is clear about how this works.[/QUOTE]

You are not supposed to put your sls in that directory.
You have 2 options:

1. If you want your sls to be valid for all systems in the organisations , then you can create a configuration channel, import your sls files and then go to ‘Home’ → ‘My Organization’-> ‘Configuration channels’ and then search and attach your configuration channel. Once you do that and go to any system in the organisation - the ‘State’ → ‘Highstate’ will show all states + your configuration.
  2. You can create a top.sls in /srv/salt and limit your sls to some subset of systems .