HDD Error

Hi, i need your help.
for days, i attempt to recover important data from primary hdd which running SLES 11.
at that time (while error occurs), i did force reboot and then in the terminal login shown (repair filesystem) #
then i try to follow suggested command there, asked me to run ext3fs … bla bla and i doest works.

then i did reinstall SLES 11 on another HDD and pull out the failed HDD.
Now, i put the failed HDD as secondary, but in command df -h it is not listed there, it only show /dev/sda1 (new hdd)
i use another command cat /proc/partitions shows:
8 0 1953514584 sda
8 1 1951486818 sda1
8 2 2024188 sda2
8 16 1953514584 sdb
8 17 1951486818 sdb1
8 18 2024188 sdb2

sdb is the failed hdd, please help me how to make it readable in order i could copy the important data from it.

Thanks

Hi
Does the device (sdb) show up in the output from;

lsblk

Please post the output from above if you see sdb.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;20947]Hi
Does the device (sdb) show up in the output from;

lsblk

Please post the output from above if you see sdb.[/QUOTE]

Hi malcolmlewis thanks for your reply, appreciated.
lsblk : command not found

this system version (uname -a)
Linux 2.6.32.49-0.3-default #1 SMP 2011-12-02 11:28:04 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[QUOTE=akauts;20949]Hi malcolmlewis thanks for your reply, appreciated.
lsblk : command not found

this system version (uname -a)
Linux 2.6.32.49-0.3-default #1 SMP 2011-12-02 11:28:04 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux[/QUOTE]
Hi
OK, so if you run YaST _system->partitioner is the device seen?

Since the data seems to be important, you might look at using Test disk, see http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;20950]Hi
OK, so if you run YaST _system->partitioner is the device seen?
Since the data seems to be important, you might look at using Test disk, see http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec[/QUOTE]

Hi malcolmlewis
here is the result, i capture the screen, it seen as sdb

[QUOTE=akauts;20951]Hi malcolmlewis
here is the result, i capture the screen, it seen as sdb
[/QUOTE]
Hi
So you could try selecting /dev/sdb1 and set it to not format, add a mount point eg /old_disk and see if YaST partitioner will mount it. If it doesn’t work the use the test disk live image indicated. The thing is you need to do as little to the disk as possible so there is no futher corruption or damage. Else your going to have to look at sending to a professional for data recovery.

I’m assuming there are no backups available, might be time to invest in an additional drive to backup to?

hi, it said
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

and in yast system partition not shown the FS Type as well. from your experience, is it still a chance to recover?
i will try the test disk live you mentioned above.

[QUOTE=akauts;20953]hi, it said
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

and in yast system partition not shown the FS Type as well. from your experience, is it still a chance to recover?
i will try the test disk live you mentioned above.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Hopefully this can be done with the Test Disk tool and the photorec application. If not, then if it’s really important, you need to seek a disk/data recovery expert.