SLES 11 not booting after rebuilding failed RAID 5 drive

Hello All,

Yesterday, we had a power outage and afterwards one of our servers would not boot up due to a failed hard drive. I was able to successfully rebuild the failed drive and SLES now does boot, however stops with errors (see attached picture). Not sure if the error is related to the replacement drive in /etc/fstab or just a failed fsck. I wanted to get some advice before moving to much further.

I have confirmed the data is actually present on this server using a live CD. I have recovered our data (backup) and made it available to users on another network location.

Any suggestions to recover the server would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[QUOTE=tei2012;51145]Hello All,

Yesterday, we had a power outage and afterwards one of our servers would not boot up due to a failed hard drive. I was able to successfully rebuild the failed drive and SLES now does boot, however stops with errors (see attached picture). Not sure if the error is related to the replacement drive in /etc/fstab or just a failed fsck. I wanted to get some advice before moving to much further.

I have confirmed the data is actually present on this server using a live CD. I have recovered our data (backup) and made it available to users on another network location.

Any suggestions to recover the server would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sorry, updated to include link to picture -

Hi
Perhaps the mount option in /etc/fstab is incorrect after replacing the
disk?

If not, go inot maintenance mode and run a fsck on the /var partition.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.3|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.114-42-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!