Help me understand Rancher and Compose

I’ve been doing my best to follow the documentation for Rancher but I can’t quite get my head around how it all works. Here’s my situation:

I have a Ubuntu Server which I installed Docker on. I set up a docker-compose file with all my various bits and pieces which I could happily make changes to and just run docker-compose - it would then take my changes and update all the containers - simple. Also, if I added a volume in my docker-compose file, and mapped it to my NAS, I could browse to that location and access the files created (e.g. so I could make an edit to config files and the like.)

So I’ve now built a freenas server and I’ve got Rancher set up on it. What I’d like to do, is basically the same as what I had before. Have my docker-compose file which I could just run whenever I made changes. Problem is, I just can’t quite get my head around how this works. I’ve used the downloadable Rancher-Compose application, and using that I’ve been able to create containers inside a stack, but if then I don’t seem to be able to make any changes whatsoever to them. If I make changes to the docker-compose file, rerunning it doesn’t seem to do anything, it just gives me the log output of the running service. Similarly, if I map a volume to somewhere on the freenas server, when I got to the mapped directory, none of the config files are there so I can’t make changes. But the containers I created are there as I can access their webUIs (an example being homeassistant/HASS, I need to edit the configuration.yaml but I have no idea where it lives despite mapping the /config directory in my compose file).

I’m sorry if I’m not being too clear here, I’m hoping someone will understand where my disconnect is here and point me in the right direction. Just for the record, I’ve read the Rancher-Compose documentation about 50 times today, so if it does do what I want, a little additional explanation would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

If you setup rancher on your FreeNAS, you can use it as a remote host to deploy to. I think thats what you are trying to do?