Hibernate with Samsung 870 EVO SSD

Thank you so much Andreas!

I copy-pasted the sleep.conf file that you posted and set only:

HibernateMode=shutdown

Now hibernation works with systemctl hibernate.

The difference between using systemctl and echo disk > /sys/power/state is that with the former resuming bypasses GRUB. However, I do not get a nice splash screen as it was the case in the past, just a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top, no progress bar or percentage written.

I wonder whether I can also fix the problem with “suspend to RAM”. The are some options in the sleep.conf file in this regard:

#SuspendMode=
#SuspendState=mem standby freeze

I understand that if a line is commented out then the default is used. But I can’t figure out which of the three is the default, “mem”, “standby” or “freeze”? I just know that the default does not work.

I have not tried yet hibernating from the display manager SDDM. I can type as root from a console in the Trinity Desktop Environment systemctl hibernate and that works, too!

An interesting fact is also that this laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 and I can’t remember whether it was hibernate or suspend to RAM that where disabled, or both. In an older installation with openSUSE 11.4 and the OEM mechanical drive I was able to do both, hibernate and suspend to RAM, but the latter would often not resume and I was left with a blank screen.

You should configure and test power saving routines for every day usage. I prefer:

Remark: X11 is not secure. Wayland provide better security.
https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/11/looking-at-the-security-of-plasmawayland/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)
https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Desktops

Thanks Andreas!

Hibernate now works. Suspend to RAM does not always work, sometimes the laptop hangs. It does not bother me too much since suspend to RAM has never really worked that well on this laptop (even with the OEM mechanical drive).

I get the following warning messages (not sure whether they have anything to do with suspend to RAM):

[ 1753.267312] ata1.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
[ 1753.269812] ata1.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible

I wonder whether these warning messages only occur because of the combination between the AMD chipset and the Samsung SSD or is it generally a problem between Linux and the Samsung 8xx EVO series? I ask because I am considering adding a SSD to an older desktop PC with an Intel Pentium D CPU.

Thanks!

However, unlike in the past, I don’t get a pleasant splash screen; instead, I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top and no progress bar or % written.

Try to update the SSD Driver from the device manager. Some days back, my system could not detect my Samsung 860 Evo. Then this article came in handy. You can go through this once, this might help you to solve the issue.

Updating SSD driver isn’t the only way to make it work here i guess.

That thing works very fast. Love it