How to install more applicaitons?

Hello,

we’ve bought HP Probook 4540s that comes with SLED preinstalled.

However it doesn’t seem there is a way to install any more programmes other than preinstalled ones. And we still need to add a few more. The repository is showing HP and UNREGISTERED. I am not quite sure if the user is supposed to only register or if any additional payment is required to install any other software. Surely the SLED repositories are not so small. besides it looks as if these repositories were local.

The thing is we need a few things and they don’t seem to be easilly done in SLED. Such as AMD GPU proprietary drivers (not sure yet if they came preinstalled or not), Thunderbird, video codecs and Wine (for one MS programme). The older and stable packages are not an issue, but it would be nice to have an easy way for installing programmes (i know there is YaST btu as mentioned there are no repositories in it).

So how do we add official repositories and how do we install more applications, drivers etc.? Is there any registration code needed? Where do we get it?

Furthermore i take it version 12 will be out soon. Is the upgrade free or does one need to purchase it?

On 07/04/2013 01:14 AM, gregor3000 wrote:[color=blue]

Hello,

we’ve bought HP Probook 4540s that comes with SLED preinstalled.[/color]

Congratulations!
[color=blue]

However it doesn’t seem there is a way to install any more programmes
other than preinstalled ones. And we still need to add a few more. The
repository is showing HP and UNREGISTERED. I am not quite sure if the
user is supposed to only register or if any additional payment is
required to install any other software. Surely the SLED repositories are
not so small. besides it looks as if these repositories were local.[/color]

No, there are definitely ways to install as much software as you would
like. I would be surprised if things like Thunderbird and Wine were not
part of SLED, but you may not be registered to a channel. While I have
not used the HPs pre-built with SLED, I have used SLED in the past from
the original media, so consider that may make our experiences slightly
different, though really it should mean you most/all of the options I did,
and probably more. For the record, SLED is available from
http://download.novell.com/ should you need to get media to get more software.

SLED (and SLES, for the server side) is a free installation to anybody who
wants it, including all of the software with which it ships, but in order
to get perpetual patches/updates a subscription fee is assessed by SUSE.
There is also, I believe, a thirty/sixty/ninety/something-day trial for
the patches, so at least for that period patches should be automatically
available. At any point in time you are able to add new software to your
system from the install media (DVD or other).

You may be missing a registration, and may not have the install media in
the system right now DVD ejected or not available… not sure on the HP
side how that works) which would make your search for new software pretty
small. Try registering if not done already (HP may have a special way of
doing that for their systems, so ask them first) or download the install
media (HP or SUSE/Novell) and install whatever you want from there.
[color=blue]

The thing is we need a few things and they don’t seem to be easilly
done in SLED. Such as AMD GPU proprietary drivers (not sure yet if they
came preinstalled or not), Thunderbird, video codecs and Wine (for one
MS programme). The older and stable packages are not an issue, but it
would be nice to have an easy way for installing programmes (i know
there is YaST btu as mentioned there are no repositories in it).[/color]

I have an NVidia card, so I’m not sure how to tell if you have them or
not, but perhaps HP’s support can tell you, or help you along the way. If
you know the name of the RPM that holds the AMD GPU files you could search
for that using either Yast or the command line:

Code:

rpm -qa | grep -i amd #search for packages with ‘amd’ in the name

You can also try searching for available, repository-hosted software from
the command line, which should be a little faster than using Yast if you
are up to it:

Code:

zypper search thunderbird
zypper search wine
zypper search amd

Once you find something you want, try installing it with the name returned
from the command above:

Code:

zypper install MozillaThunderbird

If not available, get the media as mentioned before, preferably from HP in
case they have customized things for your system.

[color=blue]

Furthermore i take it version 12 will be out soon. Is the upgrade free
or does one need to purchase it?[/color]

Not positive on this. I believe you only reallypay for the updates, and
so if that is current I think the same code will work for the 12 version
as well as the 11 and 10 versions, but don’t quote me on that. With HP in
the mix things may be slightly different, though just because your box
came with SLED from them does not mean you cannot use SLED directly from
Novell to avoid a middle-man.

Good luck.

Prepare to be surprised :wink:

Neither Thunderbird nor Wine are included in the SLED repos, nor the SLE-SDK.

There are versions of both available from the openSUSE Build Service though. (Be sure to click the spanner icon and make sure ‘show distribution’ sit set to SUSE SLE-11 SP 2.) For some reason the most relevant result when searching for wine is called ‘Browse C:\\ Drive’. Which seems a bit bizarre. Also there’s only a 32bit package. There is a SLE-11 repo for Wine listed at https://en.opensuse.org/Wine#Repositories which looks like the better one to use.

As for the specifics of registration codes and such for the instance of SLED pre-loaded on the machine, well HP are the people to ask about that. Don’t they include such information with the laptop? Though you are by no means the first person to post here with such questions having bought HP machines pre-loaded with SLED.

we’ll turns out that if we connect it with a wire we can register. funny thoguh that it doesn’t work via protected wi-fi.

anyway as we registered (IMO the procedure is way too long and unnecessarily complicated) we found out that wine and such are missing from the repositories. which is ridiculous as these are all free opensource programmes. if i need to use OpenSUSE’s repositories then we might as well use OpenSUSE.

furthermore it also seems that despite having a system restore and such this is actually only a trial version as no registration code was provided by HP. so we need to either purchase updates for 1 or 3 years or again look for an alternative (OpenSUSE, Kubuntu and Widnows 8 are the candidates). i am a bit dissapointed by HP. They really don’t give linux the chance it deserves.

Did you ever get an answer to this? I’m looking at purchasing up to 10 copies of SLED and having multimedia capabilities will be extremely important for our business. My wife is working in two different artistic/production businesses and they want to get away from proprietary software, but still have support.

I’ve been reading through the forums and it seems as if nobody is answering these posts. I’ve been using SuSE (now SUSE) since it was Slackware-based and openSUSE since it was released; I even bought SLED for a non-profit I ran (I think it was 10.1 or so, or maybe even earlier, can’t remember); however, we did not need higher multimedia functionality.

I’ll open another thread for my specific questions; however, I hope somebody answers this in a timely fashion before I have to make a financial decision about purchasing my DE.

[QUOTE=gregor3000;14258]Hello,

we’ve bought HP Probook 4540s that comes with SLED preinstalled.

However it doesn’t seem there is a way to install any more programmes other than preinstalled ones. And we still need to add a few more. The repository is showing HP and UNREGISTERED. I am not quite sure if the user is supposed to only register or if any additional payment is required to install any other software. Surely the SLED repositories are not so small. besides it looks as if these repositories were local.

The thing is we need a few things and they don’t seem to be easilly done in SLED. Such as AMD GPU proprietary drivers (not sure yet if they came preinstalled or not), Thunderbird, video codecs and Wine (for one MS programme). The older and stable packages are not an issue, but it would be nice to have an easy way for installing programmes (i know there is YaST btu as mentioned there are no repositories in it).

So how do we add official repositories and how do we install more applications, drivers etc.? Is there any registration code needed? Where do we get it?

Furthermore i take it version 12 will be out soon. Is the upgrade free or does one need to purchase it?[/QUOTE]

Do you know which multimedia capabilities are needed? My understanding
was that SLED came with several, but even openSUSE runs all of the media I
try to use (mp3, mp4, flash, wmv, ogg, flac, avi, etc.) and other than
flash stuff I use VLC for everything.

Just found this article from Google, btw:
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/additional-multimedia-codec-support-for-sled-11-sp3/

and of course there is the product webpage which discusses
interoperability in general and multimedia specifically:
https://www.suse.com/products/desktop/features/interop.html

Good luck.

@ab

Thank you for the quick reply. I currently run openSUSE on all my systems at home. They work wonderfully. I posted a more in-depth question in another thread instead of hijacking this one :). See: https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?3186-SLED-specific-packages

Unfortunately, I only use VLC for media playback, anything else I’ve tried over the years fails miserably (i.e., requires hack after hack to work with all the various media formats). And, I definitely need MP3 support, which is not mentioned on the websites. The first one is a hack provided by a community member and may/may not break warranty.

I love OGG/Vorbis and would use it as a standard; however, I cannot force business partners, customers, friends, or family members to choose it over the MP3 format; it is too entrenched in society at the moment and most people are not technically savvy enough to switch over.