newbie: how to install software?

I’ve bought a new laptop with Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop pre-installed.I’ve trouble with installation of new applications.To start with, I would like to install emacs and mercurial. When I try to use zypper I’m asked a username and password:

$ zypper install emacs Recupero dei metadati dell'archivio 'HP-SBSO-Emergency-Channel' in corso [\\]È richiesta l'autenticazione per 'https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLED11-SP1-HP-CNB-Unregistered-Updates/sle-11-i586/' Nome utente:

I registered throught the novell website and get credential (which I’m using to post here). But they don’t work for zypper…

I’m stuck, I’ve been experiencing big difficulties in finding information on suse website. Any help?

Thanks,
E.

You need to register your machine. Run YaST and look for Novell Customer Centre Configuration. You will need to enter your activation code, which I’m assuming you got with the laptop.

From what you’ve posted it looks like your laptop has SLED 11 SP1 on it. Support for SP1 ended in August 2012. SP3 is going to be out very soon. There is a thread here about HP laptop owners and SP2. HP ship SLED plus drivers to support the hardware, it’s not exactly the same as SLED that you get direct from SUSE.