How to upgrade the built-in ingress-nginx

Hi All,

How can I upgrade the ingress-nginx provided by Rancher? currently we are running on rancher/nginx-ingress-controller:nginx-0.48.1-rancher1, but I have not found a best-practice to do so.

regards
Sascha

me again. is the question so stupid that you don’t want to answer it or has no one ever wanted to upgrade their included ingress-nginx from rancher? :slight_smile:

regards
Sascha

You’ll get more Rancher folks on Slack. That being said, if I remember correctly, what I saw a few people doing who wanted to do that was to install RKE2 with the parameter to not install nginx or not install a CNI and then installed it manually themselves after via a helm chart to a newer version. But it sounds like most people don’t want to do that. If that doesn’t help you may want to try Slack.

The best way to upgrade the ingress is to upgrade the Rancher Server to a newer version, which will include a newer version of the Nginx Ingress. Rancher Server hasn’t used 0.48.1-rancher1 since around October 2021.

In the Rancher GUI, you can just change the image to a newer version, such as rancher/nginx-ingress-controller:nginx-0.49.3-rancher1