How-to use YaST for Updates (help)

ok, so, i have ent server 11.1 sp1 as a base OS in VM. it needs updating. server team has not yet done all of the proper support stuff yet so i resgistered for the 60 eval. my Novell portal shows i have eval code and an assigned system. what URL do i use for YaST to grab the updates??

If you are using Server you’re in the wrong forum but never mind, the process is the same for Desktop and Server :slight_smile:

If you are setting up a new machine I recommend you use the recently released SP2.

As for your actual question, you say you see the machine in the Novell portal so I’m assuming that means you registered it with Novell Customer Centre. If that’s the case your repos should have been set up as part of the registration process. What output do you get from

$ zypper lr -u

If you have configured the SLES server to use the evaluation code (either using YaST’s Novell Customer registration module or using the ‘suse_register -a email= -a regcode-sles=’)

Once the server is registered, ‘zypper sl’ should show the online update repositories for SLES.

Then run YaST > Online Update and accept updates as given or follow the prompts when running ‘zypper up’.

Cheers,
Willem

[QUOTE=mikewillis;2992]If you are using Server you’re in the wrong forum but never mind, the process is the same for Desktop and Server :slight_smile:

If you are setting up a new machine I recommend you use the recently released SP2.

As for your actual question, you say you see the machine in the Novell portal so I’m assuming that means you registered it with Novell Customer Centre. If that’s the case your repos should have been set up as part of the registration process. What output do you get from

$ zypper lr -u[/QUOTE]
i am not in front of system now.

ok, let me give some more details. the initial registration failed via YaST because i didnt have my proxy set, so i did the reg manually on Novell site using only “hostname” and “name”, no GID hash because there was none on the system. the system is in “systems” section of my support portal but it shows the system has not yet checked in, etc.

as for repo, there was (was before i ditched it) the repo pointing to cd/dvd. i removed that repo from the list, so YaST now shows no repos. i need to create the repo list from Novell site, but when i run the option to ADD a repo destination i try HTTP and HTTPS but i dont know the URL to use. i tried you.novell.com with path of “update” but it fails. i need correct repo and update site, etc.

and yes, i need to get this sles fully patched on SP2, etc.

thnx.

Ah, OK. Ditching the DVD repo was a good move. Have a look in YaST and you should find a module called Novell Customer Centre Configuration. Run that, give it your evaluation code, that should set up all the repos. Accessing the repos requires license (eval or purchased) so you can’t just add add an url in YaST.

yes, i tried that, i do get the text screen that asks for my reg email and activation code, but when i enter the activation code as seen in the portal i get a “invalid activation code” after it attempts to connect, this is why its confusing, i am using the code that is in the portal (the code that is the “product” code for the 60day support eval, etc). also, there were some notes somewhere (forget where) that says if you dont have activation code it will register with a 15day period, etc. i tried both and both ways failed. i will try again.

[QUOTE=Magic31;2998]If you have configured the SLES server to use the evaluation code (either using YaST’s Novell Customer registration module or using the ‘suse_register -a email= -a regcode-sles=’)

Once the server is registered, ‘zypper sl’ should show the online update repositories for SLES.

Then run YaST > Online Update and accept updates as given or follow the prompts when running ‘zypper up’.

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]
ok, i think i will delete the “system” i manually entered into the portal and try this again from scratch. thnx.

[QUOTE=Magic31;2998]If you have configured the SLES server to use the evaluation code (either using YaST’s Novell Customer registration module or using the ‘suse_register -a email= -a regcode-sles=’)

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]

suse_register returns an error “invalid code”. not sure why, its the code that is shown in my Novell products portal. perhaps the code i have is incorrect type, i have sles 11 sp1 ent server for vmware, but the portal just says sles ent server.

edit - yep, wrong product type initially. i got correct type and suse_register registered just fine, but when i run yast to get online updates i get an error "repoindex.xml[1] EntityRef: expecting ‘;’ "

i just select OK and it continues… but i need to fix this error, so why does complain about repoindex.xml ?

[QUOTE=asteffek;3016]edit - yep, wrong product type initially. i got correct type and suse_register registered just fine, but when i run yast to get online updates i get an error "repoindex.xml[1] EntityRef: expecting ‘;’ "

i just select OK and it continues… but i need to fix this error, so why does complain about repoindex.xml ?[/QUOTE]

Possibly one of the registered repositories is bogus.

Look and/or post the output of ‘zypper lr -u’ here (the command Mike Willis mentioned, which will show repositories and their links).

Cheers,
Willem

Updating to SP2 online, rather than downloading the DVD iso, now works. If you have all outstanding updates installed you should see a notification that a distribution upgrade is available, clicking ‘More Info’ will invoke wagon and update to SP2. You could invoke wagon manually as root if you felt to inclined.

Hi

I have kind of the same problem here. With SUSE Customer Center Configuration I get “Invalid Registration Code” then I tried

sudo SUSEConnect -r XxxxxxxxxxxxX -e MyEmail@gmail.com -u https://scc.suse.com

but it show this message:

Error: Not authorised. If using existing SCC credentials, they were not recognised, probably because the registered system was unregistered or deleted. Check https://scc.suse.com whether your system appears there. If it does not, remove /etc/SUSEConnect, /etc/zypp/credentials.d/* and zypper services using those credentials, and re-register this system.

This is the result of command Zypper lr -u

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | URI

–±------------±------------±--------±--------±--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | SLED12-12-0 | SLED12-12-0 | Yes | No | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GU90N_M8KE6QK5408

I tried to remove /etc/SUSEConnect and /etc/zypp/credentials.d but this is the result

rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/SUSEConnect’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/zypp/credentials.d/*’: No such file or directory

I tried to register during installation but had the same “Invalid Registration Code”.

I dont know what else to do to register my eval installation. Please help

[QUOTE=orlandomendoza;25131]Hi

I have kind of the same problem here. With SUSE Customer Center Configuration I get “Invalid Registration Code” then I tried

sudo SUSEConnect -r XxxxxxxxxxxxX -e MyEmail@gmail.com -u https://scc.suse.com

but it show this message:

Error: Not authorised. If using existing SCC credentials, they were not recognised, probably because the registered system was unregistered or deleted. Check https://scc.suse.com whether your system appears there. If it does not, remove /etc/SUSEConnect, /etc/zypp/credentials.d/* and zypper services using those credentials, and re-register this system.

This is the result of command Zypper lr -u

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | URI

–±------------±------------±--------±--------±--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | SLED12-12-0 | SLED12-12-0 | Yes | No | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GU90N_M8KE6QK5408

I tried to remove /etc/SUSEConnect and /etc/zypp/credentials.d but this is the result

rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/SUSEConnect’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/zypp/credentials.d/*’: No such file or directory

I tried to register during installation but had the same “Invalid Registration Code”.

I dont know what else to do to register my eval installation. Please help[/QUOTE]

Please see my reply to your other post about the same problem.