Installing/Patching from Yast or zypper timeout

Hi,

I have an SLES11 SP3 that used to work great and it still wirks great but I have trouble updating it and installing new products.
It is registered and when I do an online update it comes back with:
Error message: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to nu.novell.com:443
I hit retry and it works, atleast after trying 2-4 times.
Then it comes back with:
Timeout Excceded when accessing ‘https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Updates/sle-11-x86_64/glibc-i18ndata-2.11.3-17.68.1.x86_64.rpm?credentials=NCCredentials
Hit retry again and it works after 2 tries, same error again.
Then I come to retrieving kernel-defaults and it times out after 60% or 5% and really quick.
the timeout is almost instant, would have expected it to take at least 1 sec.

And so on.

Where should I start to investigate this? I clearly have a connection but cant go on patching like this.

Thanks

Hi Joakim,

Where should I start to investigate this?

are you positive this is no “local” network problem? Sounds like some bad link with lots of dropped packets. Can you i.e. download ISOs from Novell’s / SUSE’s download links? That would confirm that the network path to SuSE works (although, iirc, the images are served by Akamai, so it’d be more helpful to manually download patches via NCC…

Anything more detailed in the logs?

Regards,
Jens

Hmm,

It seems to be related specifically to the connection to novellsuse/netiq.com.
If I try to download the sles11 sp3 I get to the download lonk, click on ot and I get an alert saying it can not be saved because the source file could not be read.

Downloading the latest opensuse dvd works without a glitch and takes about 20 min even if the speed fluctuates from 5 hours to 7 minutes.

Hi Joakim,

while I cannot do anything about it, I’ll ask my Novell/SuSE backends to have a look if they can find anything related.

Regards,
Jens

Thanks,

I believe this has to do with the dns re-routing and very nestled complexity of the Akamai back end so my server in this case just gets very confused.
It might be the same thing that occurs for me sometimes at home when accessing the forum pages and I get an re-routing error.

Hi Joakim,

[QUOTE=joakim_ganse;23447]Thanks,

I believe this has to do with the dns re-routing and very nestled complexity of the Akamai back end so my server in this case just gets very confused.
It might be the same thing that occurs for me sometimes at home when accessing the forum pages and I get an re-routing error.[/QUOTE]

as no other reports have turned up, and I can see from my installation here that out SMT server accesses the Novell servers just fine, it could be some site-specific problem - even it it’s not “on-site” but caused by some country-specific servers, i.e. in the Akamai infrastructure.

Have you had a look which requests actually are the ones failing? Are these going to Novell servers, or to Akamai servers?

If the problems persist, this is something we should look into further, no matter where the root cause lies.

Regards,
Jens