License and Activation

Hi ,

We have recently installed the SLES 11 SP 3 version for SAP HANA live on the CISCO servers.
In this regard, we would like to know if we need to do any activation or application of license on the Linux servers ?

In the document which we recieved has an product activation code. Hence can you please update us if the license or any activation needs to be performed on the system ?

Best Regards,
Venkata Ramakrishna D

[QUOTE=dvramakrishna123;30908]Hi ,

We have recently installed the SLES 11 SP 3 version for SAP HANA live on the CISCO servers.
In this regard, we would like to know if we need to do any activation or application of license on the Linux servers ?

In the document which we recieved has an product activation code. Hence can you please update us if the license or any activation needs to be performed on the system ?

Best Regards,
Venkata Ramakrishna D[/QUOTE]

To receive updates to the system you need to activate it.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the update , you mean the automatic updates into the system ?
We are not going for an automatic update, It is only manual update i.e., the activities like kernel upgrade etc are only performed manually.

Also, Do we have any method online that can be used to activate , as we dont maintain internet on the server on which we install the Linux.

BR,
Venkata Ramakrishna D

Hi Venkata,

[QUOTE=dvramakrishna123;30910]Thanks for the update , you mean the automatic updates into the system ?
We are not going for an automatic update, It is only manual update i.e., the activities like kernel upgrade etc are only performed manually.[/QUOTE]

as you are running the updates not only manually, but as well without pulling them from SUSE’s servers (as in “no online update”), you won’t have to activate the license on the server.

You can activate your license code via https://scc.suse.com, the SUSE customer center.

Best regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;30929]Hi Venkata,

as you are running the updates not only manually, but as well without pulling them from SUSE’s servers (as in “no online update”), you won’t have to activate the license on the server.

You can activate your license code via https://scc.suse.com, the SUSE customer center.

Best regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi , Thanks for the reply, I have already registered and activated at https://scc.suse.com, But i am not able to add the system details there, it is showing as below:
"We cannot find any systems. This may be due to several reasons… In order for a system to appear in this list the registration has to be done either by the YaST registration module or the command line interface SUSEConnect. Once the system is registered with SCC it will appear in this list. "

Where to find the Yast registration module ? Is it online or something to bedone from server itself ? We dont have internet our Linux server.
Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks & Regards,
Venkata Ramakrishna D

Hi Venkata,

these are references to the according tools/modules on the SLES server - which will only work if you have Internet access or a local SMT server.

“Activating licenses” and “assigning licenses to servers” are two different things, and the latter isn’t required (nor practical) if the servers have no connection to SCC.

“No Internet connection” - have you considered setting up a local SMT server (or going the SUSE Manager route, depending on the number of systems to manage and desirable level of control over these)? Fully manual server patching is a PITA, IMO, and really sub-optimum for more than a small handful of servers…

Regards,
Jens