Moving VM's from old to new server

Hi,

I have an old SuSE12sp4 server running XEN virtualization with two VM’s (Novell GW-Mobility and GW-Webaccess)…all stock standard, nothing fancy. I now install SuSE12sp4 on some new hardware and config the machine for XEN virtualization … all good.

I shut down the VM’s and copy the image to the new server (/var/lib/libvirt/images) then run “vm-install” in a terminal and do the “I have a disk or disk image” to import the VM’s into the new system. Both VM’s start and within 5 seconds the VM’s shutdown for no reason. I cannot find anything in the log files (if I am looking in the right place) but if I take a Windoze (2012 or 2016 server) the VM loads without an issue.

ideas, help, comments or laughter most welcome,
John (going slightly mad) Gill

[QUOTE=John_Gill;59040]Hi,

I have an old SuSE12sp4 server running XEN virtualization with two VM’s (Novell GW-Mobility and GW-Webaccess)…all stock standard, nothing fancy. I now install SuSE12sp4 on some new hardware and config the machine for XEN virtualization … all good.

I shut down the VM’s and copy the image to the new server (/var/lib/libvirt/images) then run “vm-install” in a terminal and do the “I have a disk or disk image” to import the VM’s into the new system. Both VM’s start and within 5 seconds the VM’s shutdown for no reason. I cannot find anything in the log files (if I am looking in the right place) but if I take a Windoze (2012 or 2016 server) the VM loads without an issue.

ideas, help, comments or laughter most welcome,
John (going slightly mad) Gill[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

just a quick shot, have you checked the image’s permissions after copying it to the new server? Although I would expect to find a hint in the logs if that was the case.

Regards,
Eugen

Thanks Eugen, checked the permissions but still no joy!

John

Hi John,

“VMs start” means… what? That the VM is started from Xen’s point of view, or that the SLES inside the VM ist starting (5 secs could mean “from power-up to grub menu” or “booting to login prompt, but invoking formal “shutdown” 5 secs after completed boot”)? What can you see on each VM’s console during that sort period?

One thing that comes to mind is changing UUIDs of the disks, which would be referenced in the grub profile.

Regards,
J