New Install: Cannot See Existing Containers

Hey Guys -

Got what’s probably a newb question, but couldn’t figure out so thought I’d post. I have a home lab where I’ve had a dedicated Docker PC for a while and used Portainer until recently when it started acting up. Having always wanted to work with Rancher, I installed it today and time willing plan to migrate to RancherOS.

Although able to get into the WebUI, it looks to be a default installation as none of my existing containers are shown. To note, the default Project is empty (just has Deploy option) and System one has the default ones. When viewing the cluster I set up, resources are shown so all seems to be working overall. I think it may be related to cluster’s networking config, but wanted to be sure before causing a bigger issue :slight_smile:

Below is an overview of my current setup & how I installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Environment Specs

• Containers: 19 total with a variety of uses, mapped ports, etc
  • Local IP of host: 192.168.0.21/24
  • Subnet containers are currently on: 172.17.0.10
  • All containers installed via SSH strings

Installation Steps Performed

• String used to install initially (executed on same system as existing containers): sudo docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped -p 80:80 -p 443:443 rancher/rancher
  • Added “Custom” cluster
  • Used defaults & no cloud provider
  • Network Provider: Canal
  • Network isolation disabled
  • String produced via web wizard I executed to configure host (executed on same system as existing containers): sudo docker run -d --privileged --restart=unless-stopped --net=host -v /etc/kubernetes:/etc/kubernetes -v /var/run:/var/run rancher/rancher-agent:v2.2.7 --server https://192.168.0.21 --token 74f7h297286d8lzdgmqd65bbljz7nd6ndqw5mjlgmz4j6fw8dzzx72 --ca-checksum f1d5e75ab350075a0d9dfd017602198f95f97bb83c962c4271e7d5c296ade33b --etcd --controlplane --worker

Note: If it helps, in Nodes I do see “localhost” which is populated and showing resources with below overview info, so know it sees some things - just not existing containers

• IP Address: 192.168.0.21
  • Docker Version: 1.13.1
  • Kubelet Version: v1.14.5
  • Kube Proxy Version: v1.14.5

Happy to provide any other info if needed -

Thanks Guys!!

Kubernetes (and therefore Rancher 2.x) does not show or otherwise do anything with containers it did not create.

Thanks for the reply… So there’s no way to import them in - I’ll just have to recreate them? Thanks