Trying to install a package

I am attempting to install the package libssh2-1 on the one SuSe Enterprise 11 Server we have. However, I am encountering considerable difficulties. I have (finally) managed to get zypper to recognise the repository but now it refuses to install the package.

I give it the command:

zypper install libssh2-1

New repository or package signing key received:
Key ID: B88B2FD43DBDC284
Key Name: openSUSE Project Signing Key opensuse@opensuse.org
Key Fingerprint: 22C07BA534178CD02EFE22AAB88B2FD43DBDC284
Repository: Live Media Builds (standard)

Do you want to reject the key, trust temporarily, or trust always? [r/t/a/?] (r): a
Building repository ‘Live Media Builds (standard)’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘libssh2-1’ not found.
Resolving package dependencies…

Nothing to do.

Obviously it hasn’t installed the package. I have tried with other shorter and longer names and it still doesn’t install it.

Can someone please tell me where I’ve gone wrong? :frowning:

It sounds like you don’t have the required repos configured. Can you post the output of

$ cat /etc/novell-release $ zypper lr -u
Wrap the output in CODE tags for readability (look for the # button in the toolbar)

[QUOTE=mikewillis;15126]It sounds like you don’t have the required repos configured. Can you post the output of

$ cat /etc/novell-release $ zypper lr -u
Wrap the output in CODE tags for readability (look for the # button in the toolbar)[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a “novell-release”, I have a “SuSE-release” file:

# cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) VERSION = 11 PATCHLEVEL = 1

[CODE]# zypper lr -u

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | URI

–±-------------------±-----------------------------±--------±--------±------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | openSUSE_11.4_Live | Live Media Builds (standard) | Yes | No | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Live/standard/
[/CODE]

That was the only repository I have been able to find (I suspect it’s the wrong one?).

Hi Brian,

[QUOTE=brian_665;15147]I don’t have a “novell-release”, I have a “SuSE-release” file:

# cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) VERSION = 11 PATCHLEVEL = 1

[CODE]# zypper lr -u

–±-------------------±-----------------------------±--------±--------±------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | openSUSE_11.4_Live | Live Media Builds (standard) | Yes | No | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Live/standard/
[/CODE]

That was the only repository I have been able to find (I suspect it’s the wrong one?).[/QUOTE]

yes, you’re trying to install a package compiled for openSuSE 11.4 on a SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 platform.

Taking some extra turns, you might try to install the SLES11SP1 SDK (btw, current code level is SLES11SP3), fetch the source RPM of your package and let it rebuild on your SLES11 machine. This might require providing other development packages not available for SLES11 though, and will take a few minutes to download and install the SDK. If you’re unfamiliar with compiling packages on Linux, this most likely is not the easiest path to walk on.

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=brian_665;15147]I don’t have a “novell-release”, I have a “SuSE-release” file:
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking of SLED.

SLES 11 SP1 has been End Of Life for nearly a year. (Unless you purchased Long Term Service Pack Support.)

[QUOTE=brian_665;15147]

[CODE]# zypper lr -u

[/CODE]
That was the only repository I have been able to find (I suspect it’s the wrong one?).[/QUOTE]
It is indeed the wrong one. If you’ve been installing packages from that repo, you should remove them. You can get a list of currently installed packages which aren’t from the SLES repos with

$ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{name} %{vendor}\ ' | grep -v "SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany" | cut -d ' ' -f 1
If you’ve installed lots of packages from that repo, doing a clean install may be easier.

You shouldn’t need to be looking for repositories, they should be set up automatically when you register your machine. (Run YaST look for Novell Customer Centre Configuration.) Have you got a registration code? If not you can get a 60 day evaluation code along with an iso for SLES 11 SP3 from https://www.suse.com/products/server/

[QUOTE=mikewillis;15151]Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking of SLED.

SLES 11 SP1 has been End Of Life for nearly a year. (Unless you purchased Long Term Service Pack Support.)

It is indeed the wrong one. If you’ve been installing packages from that repo, you should remove them. You can get a list of currently installed packages which aren’t from the SLES repos with

$ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{name} %{vendor}\ ' | grep -v "SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany" | cut -d ' ' -f 1
If you’ve installed lots of packages from that repo, doing a clean install may be easier.

You shouldn’t need to be looking for repositories, they should be set up automatically when you register your machine. (Run YaST look for Novell Customer Centre Configuration.) Have you got a registration code? If not you can get a 60 day evaluation code along with an iso for SLES 11 SP3 from https://www.suse.com/products/server/[/QUOTE]

All I want to do is install a single package. I neither have the time nor the interest (nor I must admit the expertise in SuSE and SAP) to replace the entire OS. I can still find packages for other distributions years, even decades after they have reached their “end-of-life”. Why is SuSE different?

Hi
You can grab it from the OBS Server Monitoring repository (all
unsupported of course and may not pass a security audit);

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/SLE_11.1/ Server:Monitoring
zypper ref
zypper in libssh2-1

The repositories are still present if you have an active subscription,
just not updated anymore…

I would disable the other repository you added.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
up 11:35, 3 users, load average: 0.99, 0.55, 0.44
CPU AMD E2-1800@1.70GHz | GPU Radeon HD 7340

Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for.

That’s not how I see it. You’re trying to add something to a distribution that is not supported (the specific package on that distribution) per se and out of the box.

Which is perfectly understandable and the reason why people pay money to get a stable and supported version of an OS, rather than having to struggle with all sorts of updates, bug fixes, new features etc.

It isn’t. And while we’re at it - SuSE ain’t SLES ain’t openSUSE.

You’re asking for some extra, unsupported package for an “end of standard support” professional product (SLES11SP1). If someone had already spent the time to build & publish it, you may find and use it (and yes, the other response pointed you to such a package). But SLES comes with a standard set of features - which is a cost for maintenance and stability during the full product life span. People usually don’t extend SLES with some system library, as it may very well cost them the “supported” status of their installation.

This doesn’t work other than for other professional systems - and if you compare it with typical closed source systems, then you’ll see that it works much better. After all, you got your package and even didn’t have to find someone to port it to your specific platform (which may have been as easy as recompiling the source RPM via a single command, or as cumbersome as having to set up a compile machine first and then porting a multitude of other packages that your target package relies on).

OTOH, what counts is that your problem got solved.

Regards,
Jens